Other Turtle Discussion :: Question pertinent to invasive species

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:28 pm   Question pertinent to invasive species

Hi folks,

I bought my son a red ear for his birthday and all has been well. But a recent occurrence raised an interesting question:

My youngest found a baby red-ear in the street next to a pond, and as we have the aquarium space to accommodate it, we took it home and included it with our other store-bought one. I've been conflicted on whether or not to release him, since these are considered invasive.

I wanted to know what you guys thought.
Atreus21

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:43 pm   Re: Question pertinent to invasive species

Does that pond have a community of RES and can support them? I think there are 3 ways to look at it...

1) probably illegal in your state... even if they are an invasive species
2) not ethical to take a wild creature, especially when many captive turtles are looking for homes
3) hatchlings have a low survival rate, it could be difficult at the beginning
4) most RES will not get along in captivity. Male RES need to be separated from other turtles and a lot females are aggressive too.

Going back to #4, you will need to consider having a 2nd tank, or at least have a 2nd one ready in case there is any aggression.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:42 pm   Re: Question pertinent to invasive species

Thanks very much for your reply and advice sir. The little 'un is eating okay so I assume he or she's okay. I've not witnessed any aggression from the larger one, which I assume is female since her claws are short compared to the males I've seen on youtube. My only complaint against her is that she bites at me whenever handled.

I take your points on #2 and #4 though. I'll tell the kids we gotta put the little guy back. Thanks again.
Atreus21

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:39 am   Re: Question pertinent to invasive species

Glad to hear he's going back. If you do make an addition in the future, keep in mind that aggression can happen suddenly. There usually will be a couple of warning signs but those can be missed, and once it starts then separation is the only choice.

How long have you had the female RES?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion