Other Turtle Discussion :: how do turtles communicate?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:54 pm   how do turtles communicate?

was just wondering if anyone knows how turtles communicate with eachother. i have two, Steve and Agnes and was just curious.
kmariesa

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:13 pm   

Well, if Steve gets interested in Agnes (you're sure they're male and female?), he'll let her know it by fluttering his front claws at her. And if she's not interested, she'll likely either ignore him and move away. If they're both the same sex and too young to mate, they'll flutter to show the other whose boss. And if one doesn't like something the other is doing, he might take a nip at the other. Do you mean do they directly "talk" to one another? I've never heard that sliders do such a thing.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:26 pm   

no i've never seen them really communicate, just walk all over each other. was just wandering if they do talk like dogs bark cats meow what do turtles do. that kinda thing.
kmariesa

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:35 am   

Sometimes they will make a noise tha sounds like a growl and a meow mixed together, I had posted a link to California Turtle and Tortoise Club that had some turtle vocalizations, here it is incase you want to have a listen:
http://www.tortoise.org/tortcall.html#gs

Enjoy! :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:31 pm   

My little guy turtey will make the cutiest little hissing noise if any body comes near him when he is around our female. I thought he was sick at first but he wasn't. Its funny how different there personalities are. :lol:
turteywordy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:37 pm   

thanks guys. :D
kmariesa

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:09 pm   

I played one of the turtle wav's and my little guy climbed out of the water on his basking area and started looking around. he never comes out of the water when we are near. Apparemtly he knew that sound
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
soomc

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:44 pm   

Maybe it was someone he knew. :lol: :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:13 am   

I played each of them and some he didnt respond to at all. That one he listened to over and over. Really liked it.
Thanks for that link!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
soomc

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:32 pm   Re: how do turtles communicate?

So I was watching the discovery channel. There were two tortoises fighting over a female. They started to threaten each other by bobbing their heads. I've watched my turtles up on the basking platform and Morla, my dominant female, was making little jerky movements with her head, kind of like she a tick in a human. I thought it was just her being weird until after I watched the show with the tortoises. Today I went to the turtles and started twitching my head at them. LOL! My little baby male started twitching his head too. I think I now speak turtle!! =D :P
AmberEve

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:52 pm   Re: how do turtles communicate?

AmberEve wrote:So I was watching the discovery channel. There were two tortoises fighting over a female. They started to threaten each other by bobbing their heads. I've watched my turtles up on the basking platform and Morla, my dominant female, was making little jerky movements with her head, kind of like she a tick in a human. I thought it was just her being weird until after I watched the show with the tortoises. Today I went to the turtles and started twitching my head at them. LOL! My little baby male started twitching his head too. I think I now speak turtle!! =D :P

Very Cute! you should video it :)
1 Albino RES, Luna
1 Golden-Collared Macaw, Mango
1 Bassett Hound, Roosevelt
stephaniej

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:39 pm   Re: how do turtles communicate?

Ha. Thats a funny question they just say?whats up dude!
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Other Turtle Discussion