Other Turtle Discussion :: on top of each other...?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:55 am   on top of each other...?

as i have mentioned before, i have two baby RES. one big and one small. i bought the smaller one a year ago, and the bigger one 7 months ago. i noticed dramatic change in size on the bigger one, but for the smaller one, it seems like it never grow. anyway, my question is that when both are basking, the bigger one always goes on top of the smaller one. sometimes when the smaller one trys to climb on top of the bigger one, he will start shake the smaller off his back. i want to know does the bigger one have any effect on the growth of the smaller one. because i don't see him grow at all, its size is pretty much the same.
wyeung

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:11 am   

only thing I can think of is that maybe the bigger one is hogging all the food. Try feeding them separately to make sure each is getting his fair share. BTW, stacking while basking is totally normal. Mine will sometimes sit on top of eachother but depending on their moods, sometimes they will wrestle for a spot and throw eachother off. I like to think of it as sibling rivalry :wink:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 pm   

it's funny to watch them stack.. a never ending contest to be on top.. closest to the heat.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:25 am   LOL

I saw two of my turtle's stacked and I thought they were humping or something. I was a little worried, glad to find out it's normal....save me money on sex ed classes for them.

:D
King Turtankhamun

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:36 am   

My two turtles have the same senario. Webber is the bigger one and Riley is the very much smaller one. He seems to have stopped growing at a small size. For me, I know they are getting the same amount of food, at least I know Riley gets enough, I watch them eat, I like to watch them eat their food. So I know that's not it for my turtles.

Maybe it's the tank size. I've heard of that. They only grow as big as their habitation around them will allow them to comfortably adapt and live. Maybe we need a bigger tank. Who knows, it would be worth a try anyway. I know it's not far fetched, it's actually common. Webber is so much bigger than Riley because I got Riley when Webber was already about 2 years old. And, I did have 3 turtles. But got rid of the 3rd one. Anyway, maybe you can try to get a bigger tank to allow growth. I'll try it too, of course when I get the money. It's no small task or expense.
lemony

Return to Other Turtle Discussion