Other Turtle Discussion :: Hey im thinking about breeding guppies any coments or ideas?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:49 pm   Hey im thinking about breeding guppies any coments or ideas?

yea i bought about 6 guppies today and they are beautiful! and 2 are male and 4 are female!! they are so cool! so does anyone have comments or anything on this?? ohh and the price i was looking to sell them for are around 1.99 thats how much i paid for them! a pic of course! :D
RESowner102

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:51 pm   

I've never tried it, but I hear they breed fast. And I think the babies will be eaten if not separated from the adults.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:54 pm   

We had a guppie tank for a couple of years. Just a word of advice: Add new stock occasionly or they begin to look...funny (in-breeding) :oops: We did it for fun and didn't think about that until too late. There were some very weird looking guppies after a while. And they are very easy to breed.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:55 pm   

ohh really thanks for that now when they do or if they have babys ill put them into my other fish tank thanks alot! :D
RESowner102

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:08 pm   

Comments? Just one..be careful what you wish for..lol. They'll breed like crazy.

Do some research on the net to find out how to care for the fry (baby fish). I do know they'll need to be separated from the adults. Also, they like to have hiding places so lots of plants/caves are a good idea.

Guppies are a very hardy fish. Mine lived thru Ich when living with my goldfish. All the goldfish died. The guppies survived Ich, the treatment, and now several months in with the turtles because I got sick of maintaining 2 tanks. They even breed in there. The turts keep the population under control tho.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:12 pm   

lol but i have alot of plants in that tank and a half sunken ship thingy and half of a ferrit tube but i have 3 tanks and my mom helps me out so i love all of my animals! :D
RESowner102

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:12 pm   

After a while we noticed that when there were adults and fry and everysize in between the adults left the smallest ones alone. I don't know why that was but I guess the more in the tank the harder to catch the little ones? The fry will hide in grass and under rocks for a very long time if you can't manage to get every baby out after they are born. I agree with jenaero that they are extremely hardy fish.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:18 pm   

well il tell u when they start to have babies and ill get picture for ya up on they web when they do ok guys??
RESowner102

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:01 pm   

i was thinking about getting guppies, but i am afraid that they will breed so fast and my turtle wont eat them anyway (he is afraid of fish). my dad said that he had some once. and he wanted to get rid of them so he put bleach in the tank. but the bleach didnt even kill them, all it did was turn them white. lol so now i am afraid that i will have like 1000 in my tank and that they will just keep multiplying. lol
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:13 pm   

I bred Guppies for a little bit, one female can be fertilized by a male that she can have up to 5 straight batches without stoping. Gestration lasts 20-23 days. Most local pet stores will buy them for probably about 50 cents for a dozen.

If you going to do this, get a small aqaurium like a 5 gallon or something similar. Place the female fish in the tank, and place a bunch of very small plants in the tank so they float on the top. If not all of them will be eaten, I mean all of them and it was a total waste. I also use feeder guppies for my tank. Fish also enjoy glassglow shrimp, not sure if turtles do.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:11 pm   

I have one male and three females left, used to have 6 females, but Reyna and Orion got a little hungry... :D

As of my last count, they have had 4 batches of babies in a little under 3 months, and I know another one is pregnant. So far none of them have been eaten that I can tell, I think Im only missing one and I found it in my filter when I cleaned it... guess the fish was too stupid to stay away from the filter.

But basically they are hardy, and easy to breed, the only reason I can come up with why they have lived so long is that Reyna and Orion dont like their tales cause it makes them look so big, they do seem to enjoy chasing the babies around though, which is very good exercise and they havent caught one yet cause they are so small and can get into so many small areas that my turts are now too big to get into after them.

Mike
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:23 pm   

thanks for all of the advice guys!!
RESowner102

Return to Other Turtle Discussion