Other Turtle Discussion :: Still waiting for my baby boxie

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:23 pm   Still waiting for my baby boxie

I've been looking everywhere for a hatchling eastern box turtle. Can't find one anywhere. I've talked to all the pet stores to see if they are able to order one and they keep telling me that the closest they can get is a redfoot tortoise. I don't want something that's going to get almost 2 feet long. Not yet anyway.

I really didn't want to order online because I'm not comfortable with the whole shipping process but I'm starting to think I may not have a choice. I've called all the shelters, checked out all the reptile rescues I can think of and either they never get them, or the info is way out of date.

Does anyone know any Canadian breeders or rescues? If it were a matter of taking in an older turtle then that would be fine, but I'd prefer a hatchling because you never know the medical history or anything when you take in a rescue animal.

Any help here would be appreciated.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 pm   

I agree about shipping turts. I'd try a reptile expo... http://www.reptileexpo.ca/ maybe even in the US.

There are breeders listed here:
http://kingsnake.ca/breeder.html

Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:49 pm   

Do you have room for another turtle? I mean, you said your RES need more space but you have to wait. Why another turtle now?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:02 pm   

it's not space that's a problem, its the weight of a large tank filled with water. That's what the landlord is complaining about. I have an extra large rubbermaid container and room for it if I'm able to find a turt. Honestly tho, I'll most likely wait til we move to actually get one. Right now, I just want to see if it's possible to find one without having it shipped.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:53 pm   

are eastern box turtles the fancy ones or the not so fancy looking ones?
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:27 pm   

colors vary with each individual. This is a pic of the one that made me want one..

jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:06 pm   

that is awsome! lots of sweet colors!
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:38 pm   

I think the males have orange eyes.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:47 pm   

That's what first caught my eye. Then I went to my vet's office for something and got to visit with his turtles. He has a boxie, I'm not sure what sex. I picked him up and fell in love. Beautiful animals.
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:49 pm   

As adults, though, I've always been told that one of the ways you can tell the sex is by the color of the eyes.

Your previous post was changed?? You had said that you've seen females with orange eyes?
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:34 pm   

Hey Jen,

Are the E. box turtles aquatic? I thought box turtles were mostly land turtles. I guess there could be some of each variety in the box family. A land turtles home would weigh much less, making your landlord happy.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:59 am   

Yes, boxies are land turtles. I've decided that even when we move, no more aquatics. I love my guys, but the water changes suck.

Marisa, yes I changed my post because I read it over and I thought I might have misunderstood your post. You said the males have orange eyes and I thought to myself "they all do" but then I thought maybe you meant the females have red and the males have orange so I changed it because they all look red to me.
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:30 pm   

Males--bright red/orange eyes

Females--darkish red/brown eyes

You must be seeing a lot of males. :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion