Other Turtle Discussion :: Warming Up.

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:38 pm   Warming Up.

I recently moved Walnut to a bigger aquarium and she is very very afraid of everything. If I approach the room she dives to the bottom with no regard for the layer of rocks covering the tank floor.

Last time I walked in to check her water temperature (new heater) she hit the rocks with the side of her neck and kind of just floated there for a minute beforing freaking out :( . How should I slowly let Walnut adjust to her surrondings so she isn't so frightened? Should I talk to her or leave a radio on for constant noise so walking doesn't sound like a semi-truck?

Please help.

Thanks in advanced.
Walnut- Pet for Five Years; Age Uknown; 3 1/4 Inches; Female
IshMaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 pm   

Just give her time. Thats all you can do.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:52 pm   

It took mine about a week before he adjusted. I changed some stuff around today, and he seemed kind of lost for a few hours but he got the hang of it.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:06 am   

Yep, they take a while to adjust to new surroundings. Just give them time and let them adjust on their own. Within' a few months they won't even move when you approach them! But it also depends on your turt, some are friendly and some are skiddish.
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:56 am   

Okay. I was just worried about her hurting her self running into the rocks. She is getting better with me but my dad walked into the room :shock: his footsteps are way louder than mine =-P. Thanks for help.
IshMaster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:29 pm   

If your turtle doesn't have one, buy a plastic plant from the aquarium section of the petstore and let it float in the tank. My turts love to hide in them and watch me from among the leaves. They'll feel more secure.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:54 pm   

Aren't turtles known for chewing things, isn't it possible that it might digest some of the plastic if it chews it?
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:03 pm   

I've never had a problem. Oh, they will try to bite them at first, but there's no scent on them (they rely more on the scent of something when food is close) and they quickly learn they're not edible.

I would not, however, get a fake plant that had really small leaves/pieces or needles like, for example anachris. There's always the chance that a piece could break off and it could be eaten.

I was in a Petco last week and noticed they had a new section of some of the more popular pond plants--anachris, duckweed, water hyacinth and one other which I forget. The pieces were all so small that I wouldn't get any of those for a tank, even though they looked fairly realistic.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:14 pm   

Okay. She does have a wooden looking plastic thing that serves almost as a cave, it also has fake plants that are very thick.

Off topic but wow she loves Romaine Lettuce! I put it in last night I woke up this morning and there was hardly any left!
IshMaster

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:26 pm   

Try some anachris, dandelions, red leaf lettuce, etc. as well.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Other Turtle Discussion