Other Turtle Discussion :: Home wrecker

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:23 pm   Home wrecker

I'm still in the process of setting up the new tank and decorating it. Squirt has decided he does NOT like my efforts. He is systematically ripping out all the plants I've tried to bury under the rocks, (I put some anacharis in those plastic "boats" you get with fake plants), he has gone around and ripped every last one of them out. I built a small cave out of the rocks I had in their original setup. He's trying to topple those over, so out they go!!! He's moving the rocks on the bottom by literally rolling them around to where he wants them. Hmmm maybe he's seen too many episodes of Trading Spaces, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy or While you were Out, while they resided in the living room. Perhaps he's not a home wrecker but a home decorator.. :D
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:10 pm   

Turtles are known to be destructive as you have described. I keep my tank simlpe. With just a few large river rocks for them to move around and play with and two fake plants suctioned to the side of the tank for them to hide/sleep in along with the other necessities.(dock, filter, heater) If you feel it is too plain looking with just the basics maybe put one of those back ground things on the back of your tank so it doesn't look so plain.
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:39 pm   

Kristy, her tank is pretty simple. This morning JT decided she was going to pull the tube for the air rock too. I wonder if turtles get ADHD? J/K.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:22 pm   

yeah there's barely anything in it.. I do have rocks covering the bottom.. they don't like the bottom being bare. I keep plants in for them to munch on.. just figured I'd add a few small things but guess he feels otherwise, who am I to argue with a decorating turtle :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:48 pm   

Well good luck. I have some fake plants in there, he rips them out about every couple of days. So I just go in there and replant them. Thanks for the idea about making a cave out of rocks.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:57 pm   

well its not a "cave" per se... just something small.

Here's a pic of it..
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dazee722/detail?.dir=7220&.dnm=4334.jpg&.src=ph

well that's what it looked like before he ripped out the plants :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:13 pm   

Yeah, I have a bunch of large rocks, I thought about making something like that.
TexasJagsFan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion