Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: New box turtle!!

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 pm   

wow Terryo, that setup looks beautiful!! I would like to add leaf matter to my setups as well. That was never a possibility until a couple weeks ago - I used to live in the desert, lol. had lots of rocks tho.

I'm interested in the Virvarium idea also! What about it keeps the setup more humid? I would like to get my 3 toeds setup more humid.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 am   new box turtle

go to TurtleTails.com there you can see a load of pictures of virveriums. And loads of pictures of baby boxies in them
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 am   

The bigger the virvarium the more plants you can put into it. That keeps it very humid because you have to water the plants. It becomes almost tropical.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:18 am   

Wow, Terryo, you've got a lot of great turtle experience! :D Beautiful pictures and setups as usual too.
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:21 pm   

Thanks David. I am no expert. Everything I learned, and am still learning, is from these forums, and wonderful people who are willing to help. I used to always be on another forum where the people weren't tolerant of bad turtle care, even if you tried your best. Nora, my ornate got sick, and I was badly criticized. Someone stuck up for me and helped me so much. He also taught me a lot. It cost me a lot of money and work to get Nora better, but of course it was worth it. Then I found this site where everyone is willing to help each other...in a kind way.
I have to be honest, all my set ups for water turtles, and land turtles I got from TurtleTails. He also has been very helpful with millions of questions. After all, we all love out pets and only want the best for them. I am still learning.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:28 pm   

Oh...Kevin, If you move to Taiwan , you better take your comp. with you. We would be lost without your pictures. Is a definite move? What will you do with Roca?
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:59 pm   

haha yup!

Definite? No, we're still unsure. But it's a definite possibility. Roca, If I DO move, I think I'll have to give him to someone, but I just don't know who to give him to and how to get him there.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm   

If there was a way to ship him to me I would be glad to have him.. He would live in the pond in the summer, and then come to the indoor pond in the winter. I am not asking for him, just mentioning a suggestion. I know how much you love him, and how hard it would be for you if you have to give him up. I feel for you. I can't imagine giving up Abby or any of my guys.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:49 pm   

Terryo... I was wondering considering I could put plants in the vavarium... Do you think it would be find to put some Venus Flytraps in there as well as a flowery plant???:-D

I think the venus flytraps would add a cool little addition to the vavarium, and have you ever tried or heard of a Habba Mist from Zoo Med thingy... I was thinking of getting it for the vavarium...
1 RES: Tortarita :-D
1 Box turtle: Squirt :-D
1 Chameleon: Neptune :-D

Hope is the strongest weapon the heart can hold.
Aqua8

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:15 pm   

I'd love to ship him to any of you guys on here, I'd think he rather do that that go through all that customs stuff. But the problem is I don't know anything about shipping turtles from canada to the US. lol I'm not moving to Taiwan YET!
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding

Tenodera

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:16 pm   

Well Kevin, I hope you never go unless you take your comp. with you. I would miss you and Roca and all your beautiful pictures toooooo much!
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:25 pm   

Terryo... I was wondering considering I could put plants in the vavarium... Do you think it would be find to put some Venus Flytraps in there as well as a flowery plant???

I think the venus flytraps would add a cool little addition to the vavarium, and have you ever tried or heard of a Habba Mist from Zoo Med thingy... I was thinking of getting it for the vavarium

My son has a Venus Flytrap in his, but I would make sure it isn't on the poisonous plants list. I don't know about the zoo med thingy...it might make the virvarium too wet. I really don't know about that. I put two geraniums in mine, because they are on the eatable flower list that I read. I also put some weeds in there..dandelion which are really good for them.
Here's Pio in his virvarium.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 pm   

Thanks Terryo, I searched for info on the venus fly trap and although it's not on the poison plant list it does contain some harmful compounds in it that may cause some GI problems. But nothing deadly, so what I'll probably do is plant a geranium on the side of the tank and then plant some venous fly raps within the leaves or beside them so Squirt can't directly bite at it unless he/she seaches... :-D thanx

I'm planning this project well in advance, heck I even applied for a job at Petsmart on Friday... DISCOUNT!!!! Wahooo... :lol: :lol:
1 RES: Tortarita :-D
1 Box turtle: Squirt :-D
1 Chameleon: Neptune :-D

Hope is the strongest weapon the heart can hold.
Aqua8

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:49 am   

Well you could TRY keeping a venus flytrap, but it'll probably get trampled by the turtle.

Not to mention that venus fly traps can only grow in nutrient-free acidic soil like spaghnum moss or dirt without nurtrients
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding

Tenodera

Previous

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion