Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: new cherry redfoot tortoise

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:31 pm   new cherry redfoot tortoise

All baby turtles are cute, but I have to say my new baby cherry redfoot is so adorable. I just got her today.
I am keeping her in with Nickie, my three toed hatchling until I get another tank. This baby needs a lot of humidity. I haven't decided on a name yet.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:35 pm   

She looks very cute! Have we seen Nickie before?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:22 pm   

yes...Nickie

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:25 pm   

Wow she's so cute!! Are redfoots very friendly or very shy?
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 pm   

She (we'll call her that for now?) wasn't shy at all. They sent her to me in a thing that looked like a sock, and then it was wrapped in damp newspaper, and then in a box. Very well wrapped. When I opened it she just kept looking around. I put her in a little bowl with warm water to soak for about 15 min as she was really dry. She drank a lot, and than just sat there looking all around. Then I took her out of the water and put some romaine lettuce in with her and she ate like crazy. I couldn't believe it. After she ate I put her into the virvarium, and she sat for a while looking, and then walked all the way to the other end and back, then went to the little dish and ate some more. She is so cute. She doesn't grow that big and doesn't hibernate. That is why I got her. I didn't want to get one that grew really big. She is not shy at all. And she wasn't scared either. Just very curious of her new surroundings.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:58 pm   

thats awesome story.
looks very nice too.
enjoy the new tortoise.
ZombieTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:50 pm   

oooh what is their care like? I've read that they like a warm, humid environment. I'm thinking of keeping one IF I move to warm and humid Taiwan.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:46 am   

You don't have to wait until you move to warm and humid Taiwan. I live in cold blistery NY (in the winter) I set up a large virvarium with plants that I looked up on the net that was good for him to eat (lot of tropical stuff and perennials)just in case he tried to nibble on some. I put moss all on the bottom of the tank and two hidey things (half logs), one on each end. Across the top is a long florescent light. The hood is the kind that holds the long light and two bulbs on either side. On one side I put a heat bulb and a UVA, UVB combo. and on the other side I put a night light. Low wt. I mist the tank and water the plants once a day. Sometimes I mist the tank twice. Now he has options. If he wants to be warm, or cooler. He is very active and wonders around most of the day. So I always leave a little bit of mixed salad for him. (cut up greens and veg. and little bit of fruit) I notice he will eat the fruit first, and then the other stuff. He is way more fun than a box turtle who hides most of the day. He is like a water turtle that doesn't swim. I am really enjoying him. I just hope I am doing all the right thing for him. Now I am thinking of a name. He comes from Brazil.(well his parents do)
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:47 am   

In the summer I will make something for him outside when the weather permits. I will try to post more pictures today.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:57 pm   

So sweet! :) About how big will Nickie get?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:01 pm   

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

That quot is so beautiful. Nickie is a three toed. He won't get that big, but he eventually has to go outside. He should hibernate and have much more space. I guess I will worry about that in another year.

I named my Chreey Head..Pio
It is after Padre' Pio. He is a Saint now.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:22 pm   

Thanks. The quote is from The Little Prince, one of my favorite children's books.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:56 pm   

Your new tortoise is sooo cute. How is he doing these days? Is he still active during the day like he was when he first arrived?

I'm thinking of getting a Hermann's tortoise as they stay quite small. I love my little box turtle but she does tend to sleep most of the time.
Pugwinkle

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:29 pm   

You are right about box turtles. Hatchlings just sleep most of the time. My little guy comes out in the morning, eats and wonders around a bit. Then he goes in his little hide for a few hours. When he comes out he wants to eat again...goes to the spot where his dish is....but I was told only to feed him once a day. But then he just sits there for a while, wonders all over the virvarium, drinks, then sits near the dish spot again. I feel so bad for him. I wrote to the breeder, and he said NO more food for the day. He gets greens for two days, and then on the third day fruit. Then greens for two more days, then fruit...ect. When he is 6 months old that changes and he starts a new routine. He really is so cute, and very friendly.
Water turtles are much more work, but they are still my favorite turtle.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:15 pm   

Wow, I'd like the life of a box turtle!
He's very cute, btw. :-)
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Next

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion