Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Beginner Box Turtle? -Pictures!-

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:34 pm   Beginner Box Turtle? -Pictures!-

Well after being on this site and seeing some wonderful box turtles, I now want one :lol:

And before going out and getting one, I want to get a little info on what type would be easy to care for as a beginner. As for the adult size I don't want one that would get too big, somewhere between 5-7 inches as an adult. A little care info would help too (Habitat, temp, substrate).

Thanks.
Last edited by Weirdkid on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:30 pm   

awesome!! box turtles are great pets.

Eastern boxies are considered beginner turtles. I think 3-toeds are too, but I'm not sure. I know ornates are not considered beginner turtles. Here's a care sheet for eastern's.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-easternboxie.htm

All boxies get to be 5-6". There aren't any bigger ones, but there are tortoises that get bigger.

You'll have to decided if you want a hatchling or an adult. I would suggest buying from a breeder rather than from a pet store, or even better yet, contact a local turtle / tortoise / reptile rescue and adopt one! That's how I got my 2 adults for free. They didn't have any right when I applied, it took a couple months, but I'm glad I adopted them instead of buying others from a petstore.

Good luck!! Let us know what you get.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm   

Cool thanks, I don' plan on buying from a petstore. As for the rescue, not sure if we have one near. I'll have to check on that. I want a hatchling or 2. For some reason whenever I buy animals I like to raise em young and watch them as they grow, especially if its going to be my first time caring for that type.

Thanks
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 am   

Here's what I got so far. Please add/delete some of this to make it right if it isn't. I'm still doing a little more research.

-Cold end, warm end(UVA/UVB Bulb).
-Hide spot/cave on both ends.
-Mist the place to keep it humid.
-Cocoa Peat, plain Soil, bead-a-beast for substrate, not too deep for hatchlings.
-Temperature: 75-100 Degrees Fahrenheit. 90-100 Degrees on the warm end during the day.
-Feeding: Earthworms, crickets(Gutloaded, dusted), mealworms not so often.
-Veggies: Dark greens - Kale, Collard greens,
-Tomatoes
-Grapes
-Berries
-Squash
-Canaloupe
-Grated Carrots.
-Maybe some grass seed.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:07 am   

Don't forget a shallow water dish for him to soak in!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 am   

Lookin pretty good. In addition to the water dish as Stachick suggested, I've also learned that hatchlings are in need of a daily forced soaking. I put mine in the sink with warmish water for about half hour every day or every other day (depends on my work sched).

Know that a hatchling is not likely to touch any fruit or veggies for up to the first year. I've caught mine nibbling every once in awhile, but not often. I still offer them that stuff.

Also, add strawberries and banana to that list of fruits, and add Phoenix worms to the list of worms. Phoenix worms are all my boxies staple. They are very nutitious and extremely high in calcium. Blood worms, wax worms, an silk worms are also good. For the crickets, they must be live crickets, not canned. And you have to cut off the back legs for the turtles to be able to catch them.

I believe 100deg to be a bit to hot. I run my hot end between 85-90F.

Good job doin your research.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 am   

I go 85-90 on the warm end. 100 is just too hot, especially if the enclosure is small. Check the care sheets on ATP for great info
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:52 pm   

Thanks for the reply! Feel much better now with more info =)
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:25 am   

Another quick question, do you guys clean or change the substrate?
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:49 am   

Since I'm trying to keep a mini-ecosystem going with plants and worms, no not really. That would mean starting over everytime I change it. It will get changed every once in awhile, just kinda depends on the ecosystem and if it starts to get overloaded with poo or something.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:18 pm   

Oh I see thanks!
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:01 pm   

Another question, is Eco-Earth good? I couldn't find any Bed-a-beast when I went looking around this morning.

Thanks.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:10 pm   

I've never used it, but there are some folks on another forum I go to that recommend it.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 pm   

alright thanks, sorry for the bother but I have another question :) Is it okay to add a layer of "Fir and Sphagnum Peat Moss Mix"? Or should I return that? I haven't gotten the turtles yet.

Thanks
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:55 pm   

i'm not familiar with "fir", but I do add sphagnum peat moss. It stays on top for awhile, but eventually gets mixed in.....which is fine. It helps keep the humidity up a little.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Next

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion