Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Beginner Box Turtle? -Pictures!-

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:54 pm   

Alright thanks, I guess I have everything.

54gallon rubbermaid
about 3 and a half inch eco earth + layer of "Fir and Sphagnum Peat Moss Mix" - Will return it if I can find a better one
ceramic dish for water
2 hiding spots one on each end
UVA/UVB Bulbs
Thermometer
spray/mist bottle

now I just have to find a breeder that will ship since I can't travel 330miles to buy from Linda.

Thanks for all you help!!
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:01 pm   

Sounds like you've got it all together. If your getting hatchlings, I would also suggest getting a couple other small containers that you can soak them in individually. Hatchlings should be force-soaked daily until they're about 6-7 months old.

It would be better to try and find a breeder nearer to you.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:34 pm   

Alright thanks, I have a 3 gallon rubbermaid that I can soak them in with a lot of room to walk around in. I've been looking on Kingsnake to see if they had any near me, but its hard enough to find someone selling 3-Toads let alone one near me. But I'm still looking around.

Also I was wondering if I could use Indian Almond Leaves to put over the dirt and such, not much but just a few pieces. I have some leaves for my fish and thought it could be of some use for the boxies.

Thanks again!
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:10 pm   

That rubbermaid sounds great.

Yeah, I know how hard they are to find. Took me a few months to find mind.

Leafy matter is a good additive as a top layer. Before putting it in, check this website to make sure it's not poisonous to reptiles:

http://www.anapsid.org/mainplants.html
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:02 am   

Ah cool, thanks for the link.

Edit: I can't find anything about it on there, I'll hold off on using it until I know its safe. Thanks again.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:56 pm   

Hmm I put on the lights last night and this morning I turned it on for a few hours, checked the temp and it was 83.7F. Should I get a better light bulb for heat?

Edit: I changed it around a bit and got the warm side to 86.5F Should I get one of those bulbs that emits heat but not light for night time? The temp drops to around 65-70F at night without the lights on.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm   

it should cool down a little at night. If you can find a way to keep at 70-74F at night, that would be perfect. I've got the heater in my house set to 70deg, so that works for me. I don't use any night time bulbs.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:17 pm   

I don't know how but it seems to stay at 73ish at night now. I got the temperature right now. Also on ATP caresheet for EBTs it said the humidity should be 60-80% should it stay like that for 3-toeds also?

Thanks.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:15 am   

Alright well, I've been looking up Phoenix Worms and such and was wondering what size worms should I get? The 3-toeds I'll be receiving will be just over an inch.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:46 pm   

Well I bought 2 3-Toeds from Keith B. and they just arrive this morning.

Using a camera phone so the close ups are blurry.

I'll also be adding some long fibered Sphagnum moss for humidity. I also have a sheet of acrylic to cover half of the top to help keep humidity in.

Anything else you guys see wrong with it?
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:48 pm   

I keep my three toed hatchling in a virvarium with a mixture of peat moss, soil, un milled peat moss, compost and leaf litter. It is great for hatchlings as it mimic's the forest floor, and keeps in the humidity. Not for juvies and adults.

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:57 pm   

I'm trying to find some leaves, not working out so well. Looking around friends houses and asking if they used any pesticides or not. I planted some grass seeds that are growing, and added a little more to different places last night.

The enclosure looks blue in the pictures :O Its really gray.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:18 pm   

Do you have any woods near you? I usually go to the woods and gather some leaves, and moss that are around the bottom of trees. I KNOW there aren't any pesticides there. There is great compost there too (leaf litter) that has lots of worms in it. You could also get some strawberry plants and put them in there too. They spread, and get little berries too.

This is my ornate in her virvarium when she was sick. Otherwise she is outside.

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:19 pm   

Looks wonderful. Where I live theres no woods or anything, just a city. I have a strawberry plant in there but I have to keep it all they way on the cool end or it'll wither and die.
Weirdkid

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:21 pm   

Hey your new Boxie looks Just like Squirt!! :lol: They could be twins!!! Nice set up!!
1 RES: Tortarita :-D
1 Box turtle: Squirt :-D
1 Chameleon: Neptune :-D

Hope is the strongest weapon the heart can hold.
Aqua8

PreviousNext

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion