Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Pick one!

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Which one?

Hermans
7%
Cherry-head
64%
Eastern Box
7%
Sulcata
7%
Leopard
7%
Russian
7%

Total votes : 14

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:36 pm   Pick one!

I fell in love box turtles and tortoises and i was just wondering which one you guys thought i should get, cause i realy have no clue. I probly won't get one for a while but i want to know what im getting so i can get an estimate and start saving.
Ty13

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:48 pm   

I'd say the best thing you can do is reasearch. See how large they get, what they require and then which one fits the best into your lifestyle.

Not many people can take care of a sulcata's needs all of it's life for example, so do yourself and the tortoise a favor and look into the appropriate one for you.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 pm   

Based on what I know, I'd pick either a Hermans or a Cherry-head, or maybe a russian. Sulcatas get gigantic, they're one of the largest tortoises, so unless you live in a warm climate and have a large backyard and don't plan to move, ever, don't get one. Eastern box turtles are nice, but are illegal to keep as pets in some states, so look into that. There used to be a girl on here with a Hermans tortoise who was adorable, and I think they stay relatively small. I would definitely investigate them and see if they appeal to you.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:33 am   

Might be a good idea to go with a breed that can take to your local climate. You might also want to look into adoption, that way you have someone to ask Qs and they would offer advice as to what the setup should be like.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:53 am   

I'm thinking of a tortise as well and would only consider one that's native to our area since outdoor enclosures are best.
Tamara
9" f pen cooter-Liza; 5" m RES-Mercer
5.5" f ornate dbt-Lucy
2 3/4" missi map-Jimi; 1.5" painted-Bob
1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bird, 3 kids, 1 hubby

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it"
--Mark Twain--
FLhaven4strays

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm   

Well after much reasearch i've decided on Eastern Hermans tortoises. They only grow to be relatively small at only 8-10" and only need a humidity of 30-50% so thats easily do-able. They are also very cute. All i need now is the money to do it :? . Thanks for the advice.
Ty13

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion