Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Questin about Russian Tortoise

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:36 pm   Questin about Russian Tortoise

ok, i'm thinking about getting a russian tortoise, and I was just wondering, if i was not planning on breeding them, if I still have to hibernate them. I guess i'm asking if its an actual nesessity to hibernate them becasue i know that for some species its kind of important to hibernate them to keep them healthy.
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:32 pm   

With boxies, it is not important to hibernate them. You just have to keep their climate constant and not let it cool down in the winter.

I know Russians are similar to boxies in a lot of ways, but there are some differenes. I would go to www.turtleforum.com and ask there. Lots of boxie and tortoise people there.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:37 pm   

ok thanks. I am mostly convinced i'm going to get one if i have the space for it when i move, i'm just not sure how i'm going to hibernate it. well i suppose it will be fairly easy since it gets cold around here in the winter so hopefully i won't have to buy a mini fridge :\. fall would probably work well since it gets cold but not super cold like in winter. I think i'm rambling lol
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:49 pm   

just make sure you study a lot on the hibernating before you try it. if not done right , the tortoise will die. each species requires different temps, substrates, etc....

some tortoises don't even hibernate, ever.

i haven't hibernated my boxies yet, but when i do i will definitely go with the mini-fridge method. much easier and controlled environment. don't have to worry if all of a sudden there's a few warm days in the middle of winter....etc....
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion