Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: i plan to own a redfoot soon. i have a question.

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:00 am   i plan to own a redfoot soon. i have a question.

hi. i plan to own a redfoot soon, maybe later this june. the caresheet links posted here were very helpful, but it does not say anything about transporting them.

the problem is, the nearest redfoot on sale can be found far far away from our island. i asked a friend there to buy it for before he comes here on june for a vacation. i knew redfoots must be kept in a humid environment, so are there any tips on how to transport them?
Everything I own is on my back, and suffice it is to say I am one ton lighter and therefore 2,000 pounds happier. All houses are gone.

~2 RES - Stuart and Olivia~
AnthonyGarcia

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:11 am   

How long is the trip? Is it by boat or plane? Would it be legal for your friend to do this?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:26 am   

my friend's not yet sure if he'll come here by boat or by plane. if it's by boat, then it would take him two nights to get here. he could just carry the redfoot anywhere. i worry if he takes the plane. it's just a 2-hour trip, but i don't think the redfoot will be allowed in the passenger's area.
Everything I own is on my back, and suffice it is to say I am one ton lighter and therefore 2,000 pounds happier. All houses are gone.

AnthonyGarcia

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:25 am   

It'd depend on the duration of the trip. I'd recommend a similar transportation as RES by putting them in a good insulated container. If the flight is by plane, the turtle may be able to go in the cargo section. I'm guessing something like a styrofoam container with air holes and a damp rag to keep the humidity up, even for the two night trip. The shorter the travel time, though, the better.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:42 am   

There would definitely be barriers if it is through a commercial airline. I've heard some horror stories about turtles in the cargo hold. You risk confiscation and fines if you try to sneak it through the passenger cabin.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:24 am   

thanks.

yes. i've heard stories of turtles in the cargo too. that's what worries me most. my friend just told me he'll be coming by plane, and we're gonna need a quarantine certificate from our government agency.

anyway, i'll tell him your replies. i really hope he'll come up with a better plan.

AnthonyGarcia

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:10 pm   

Can he ship it? A lot of pets are shipped like next day and make it there fine. Check into shipping.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:09 am   

yes, i'll tell him that. thanks.

AnthonyGarcia

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion