Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Baby Sulcata, has RI

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:46 pm   Baby Sulcata, has RI

I have a new little girl named Ruby. I picked up two days ago and everything went great. I have wanted to rescue a sulcata for a long time. I understand the time and energy it takes for these giants. and I have a huge back yard I can dedicate to her in the summers. However, she is having troubles. I believe she have a respiratory infection. She is wheezing and squeaking. I plan to take her to see a herp vet next week (I need time to find a good one) The reason why I'm posting is because I'm wondering if there is any one in Oregon who owns a sulcata. I am beginning to wonder if she will even be able to survive the SUMMERS we have here. It is a very wet climate and I know that they can not tolerate damp invironments. I have her inside now... but when she's bigger I'd like for her to at least be able to go out side and graze. I do have an extra room I can dedicate to her when she's large but.... Any advice would be great.
Macy
Portland Oregon
2-RES Benny and June
1-Cat Oliver
1-Dog Nova
1-Sulcata Tortoise

"With Man gone is there hope for Gorilla?"
"With Gorilla gone is there hope for Man?"
~Daniel Quinn
Macy

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:31 pm   

About her summers, you might want to contact the person who you got her from. They would have a better idea if they are being kept in your area. Your vet could also tell you if they regularly see them. People with more "advanced" turtles and tortoises generally visit vets more -- not necessarily because of problems but they put more resources into them.

You might want to interested in joining this e-mail list (yahoo id required): http://www.tortoisetrust.org/maillist.html

Most of the people on that list are in the UK and keep torts.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:54 pm   THANKS

steve wrote:About her summers, you might want to contact the person who you got her from. They would have a better idea if they are being kept in your area. Your vet could also tell you if they regularly see them. People with more "advanced" turtles and tortoises generally visit vets more -- not necessarily because of problems but they put more resources into them.

You might want to interested in joining this e-mail list (yahoo id required): http://www.tortoisetrust.org/maillist.html

Most of the people on that list are in the UK and keep torts.

The people that I got her from were more inexperienced than me. I have researched sulcatas for a long time. I've always wanted to rescue a large one that was having a hard time being rehomed but there just aren't any in oregon that needed rehoming. I kept coming across baby sulcatas being sold in pet stores. SO HARD TO KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT to pet store workers. I had saw an ad on Craigslist that said HELP! Need to sell Sulcata. so I went and it too was only a yearling. anyway I got her, I love her and I want her to be the happiest african spurred tortoise that she can be. Thank you for the link. If any one can lead me to other people who have sulcatas in this area. (I'm thinking towards more of ADULT sulcatas) THANK YOU!
Macy
Portland Oregon
2-RES Benny and June
1-Cat Oliver
1-Dog Nova
1-Sulcata Tortoise

~Daniel Quinn
Macy

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:19 am   

You can also check turtletimes.com and turtleforum.com

Most keepers on those sites keep a much wider variety of turts and torts.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:15 am   

i would second the turtleforum.com . i use that site for my boxie questions.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:15 pm   UPDATE

So I took Ruby (my little Sulcata) to the vet.... and of course wouldn't you know it she wasn't displaying any of the things I had noticed.... typical. But she hasn't since... I got her some de-wormer and he was very excited to see a sulcata come through... he used to work in California and used to work with them alot... WHEW! I was happy to hear that. But she is doing GREAT! I am taking lots of pictures of her and I'm eventually going to do a time lapse.... I am taking a pic of her every month on the same table... in the same position (with little help from her). So look forward to that. PS. My RES's Benny and June are still getting tons of turtle love.

Macy

PPS thanks for the help
Macy
Portland Oregon
2-RES Benny and June
1-Cat Oliver
1-Dog Nova
1-Sulcata Tortoise

~Daniel Quinn
Macy