Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: boxies lovin the spring

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:23 am   boxies lovin the spring

all you guys with boxies.....how are they doin this spring?

mine have really woken up and become incredibly active, and are really showing they're personallity.

Sid, my male Ornate, is quite fond of me as long as I'm feeding him and don't pick him up. Diega, the female Ornate, is very friendly even when I handle her. The room they are in also serves as my music room. When I'm practicing, she almost always comes out of her house, sticks her head way up and looks at me. very cute.

Manny and Ellie, the 2 baby 3 toeds are really growing up. they are not shy anymore at all.

Overall, they seem to all be adapting VERY well to their new indoor homes. I'm really happy about that.

Well, send updates of your boxies along!
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:46 am   

I gave all my boxie's to my friend who has a very large out door pen for them, as I was fixing my yard, and it took two years. I only have little Izzy, three toed. She is 5 months now. She won't be going outside for another year. I'll just put her outside for some sun.
Here's Izzy....right now she is living with Pio in a 75 gal, planted vivarium.

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:39 pm   

very cute! Izzy looks big for being only 5 months, but she looks like she's growing very even. my 3 toeds are growing very differently. the one growing faster isn't even at all. it is like only one side of each scute is growing. the other one has been growing very slow, but very even.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:16 pm   

You might want to look in to separating them. Box turtles and Red Foot Torts have different care requirements.

They're cute tho :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:31 pm   

Stupid question, why are they called "3 toed"...I count 5 claws on that baby! SOOOOOO cute though! I want one! how big do they get?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:37 pm   

They have 3 toes on each of the back feet :-) They get 5-8 inches
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:52 pm   

You might want to look in to separating them. Box turtles and Red Foot Torts have different care requirements.

Yes, I know. I posted pictures on another forum, and there was three pages of back lash. On the other hand, one breeder said that as hatchlings, they do require the same humidity. amd temp., and would both be hiding on the forest floor, and he didn't see anything wrong with it for a short time, as long as I got them when they were both hatchlings, and not adults.
In the summer Pio is going outside, and then I will make another vivarium for Izzy until she is old enough to go outside. (maybe for good) I haven't decided if I am going to let her hibernate or not.
Pio follows Izzy around like a puppy. And Izzy, now eats a very small amount of greens (just started) and some fruit, besides her usual "bugs", which she would not do yet if she was alone.
Thank you.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:56 pm   

terryo -
what is that your feeding them in the top picture?
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:58 pm   

terryo, can you give me a link to the "3 pages of backlash"? I want to see why they say it's bad to keep the two together.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:32 am   

http://tortoiseforum.org/does-redfood-n ... -2224.html

Read it and weep Kevin. "You know who" almost had a heart attack when he saw the pictures I sent. A couple of people sent me a pm and said that it was OK as long as they were hatchlings when I got them, being they both need the same requirements while they are still so little. I know one will get much bigger than the other, and they can only stay together for a little while.

In the first picture they are eating a mixture of cantaloupe and some corn, and some low fat cat food dusted with calcium power
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 am   

Wow.

Just wow.

Some of the things he says make sense, but I don't like the way he expresses his opinions.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:34 am   

While I have no idea who that person was (I'm not a member of that forum), I certainly can't agree with the way he expressed himself. I certainly did not mean to come off that way myself. I was just throwing it out there in case there were some people who were not aware.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am   

very interesting. i agree with a little of what he says....

i've seen a lot of the same on this forum before. people here tend to get quite excitable when you talk about taking a turtle from the wild though. everyone has their own buttons. :)
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:59 am   

Jenero....I am a person who is always willing to learn. It doesn't matter how old you are or how many animals you have or how long you have them. Every new day, you learn. You can learn from every new person you meet.
I always tell people what I do, but I never tell them what to do, and I appreciate everyone's in-put and I thank you for it.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:02 am   

Terryo
I know I don't really have anything to say about tortises becauseI don't know anything about them...
Yours are beautiful though.

BUT
I read that other fourm and... wow.

I agree with you, Every day you learn something new, no matter how old you are, how long you've had whatever animal you have, or how much of an "expert" you think you are.

In my opinion, there are no real experts in anything. I don't think we'll ever know ALL there is to know anbout anything. Thigns change, species evolve.

I just wanted to share. Please don't think I was being rude. I really didn't like the responses you got on that othersite. I'm glad I don't go there.
Swaypippin

Next

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion