Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: box turtle pellets?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:10 pm   box turtle pellets?

what is the best prepared, dry box turtle food? something like reptomin exist for land turtles?
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm   

I know theres some but I'd stick to Reptomin. I think Mazuri is one
Take-One

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:35 pm   

cant stick to reptomin. they're made for water turtles and box turtles have different requirements :/
- Jessy
zoologist

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:37 pm   

Try Mazuri tortoise (I know its a box turtle)pellets. I'm pretty sure that will work.

Or you can try ZooMed Box turtle pellets

http://store.petproductadvisor.com/show ... _term=9486
Take-One

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 pm   

thanks!
- Jessy
zoologist

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:40 am   

I know that you can give, as a treat, because it is rather expensive and some turtles don't like it. Canned Box Turtle food. I have seen it in petsmart and my mom bought it a few times for her ornate. The Ornate loved it, but I've heard of others turning up their noses at it.

Other than that, Those pellets sound good to me. Just make sure you soak them a little bit beforehand so they are easily edible.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 am   

my wal-mart has a food for land turtles. i can't say if it's good or bad quality, but they have it. the brand is Critter Culture.
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 pm   

http://www.petguys.com/-046798292320.html

Check this out! Reptomin soft gel, for land turtles. I saw it at petsmart today.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 pm   

I got my boxie from a rehabilitator who recommended regular reptomin, and I've been under the impression that it's fine so long as you're using it to supplement a diet of fresh greens, fruit, vegetables and protein. No pellet will replace a quality, varied fresh diet. However, if you can get Mazuri (I've never found it in a store) it's supposed to be one of the highest quality commercial pellets available.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 pm   

I have been making this mixture and freezing it in little balls. Then I just take out a ball each day and defrost it. My little Three Toed loves it.

It consists of 15 % Turtle Brittle, Mazuri forest food, (I soak both of these so it is soft) 25 % shredded vegetables, (carrots, sweet potato, squash etc), 50% dark leafy greens, finely chopped collard, dandelion greens, escarole, and hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves, and then 10% fruit..cantaloupe, assorted berries. ,mango and peaches or nectarines. I chop everything up, and then mix it and make little balls with an ice cream scooper, and freeze them. At night before I go to bed, I take one out, and put it in the little dish, and by dawn (which is the time she usually gets up to eat) it is defrosted. Both my three toed, and my Cherry Head love it. Once a week I sprinkle it with calcium. I make enough for 1 week. When they get a little bigger, I will start feeding them every other day. (My three toed also gets worms and other bugs)
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:47 am   

I recently just got my box turtle, and the only things he has eaten is half a kiwi, mealworms, and a spoonful of canned cat food (tuna with veggies)

He still won't eat pellets or veggies.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:11 am   

Tenodera,

Baby boxies generally won't eat anything that's not moving. I couldn't get mine to take any fruits, veggies or canned food until he was well over a year old. I serve a small amount of catfood about once every 2 weeks for a treat. Anything more than that is asking for trouble.

Try an earthworm cut into pieces. Butterworms, silk worms, crickets and horn worms are some of my boxie's favourite items. I don't feed mealworms because there is next to no nutritional value.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:26 am   

thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

the problem im having is that my turtle is still a baby. so all the box turtle food i find is veggie and fruit based, when i need it to be protien based. ergh.

i am happy to say that i got rep-cal box turtle food and some other kind of supermoist blocks that my turtle just LOVES!
- Jessy
zoologist

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:12 pm   

How old is your boxie? If you soak Turtle Brittle, and leave it in a dish, you will see some of it eaten next time you look. When I take him out, I put him in a little container, with a little warm water to soak, and put some little red wigglers in there. He loves those. You could put any moving bug in the water, and he will go after it. Try that.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:24 am   

jenaero wrote:Tenodera,

Baby boxies generally won't eat anything that's not moving. I couldn't get mine to take any fruits, veggies or canned food until he was well over a year old. I serve a small amount of catfood about once every 2 weeks for a treat. Anything more than that is asking for trouble.

Try an earthworm cut into pieces. Butterworms, silk worms, crickets and horn worms are some of my boxie's favourite items. I don't feed mealworms because there is next to no nutritional value.

Mines an adult male... He will only eat worm-like things ( earthworms, grubs, and mealworms) I can only feed mealworms since thats the only thing they sell in pet stores. Earthworms are only found by digging in a garden on a rainy day...
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Next

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion