Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Brownie doesn't come out very often?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:20 am   Brownie doesn't come out very often?

So all, just wondering whats up with brownie. she doesn't seem to come out of her hide very much, unless theres a juicy worm out there or some lettuce or whatevers on the menu.

Is this normal behavior?

she is very active, and still not shy at all when being held.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:30 am   

She probably still adjusting to her no home, I'd give her a bit more time. Also I would recommend giving her a nice soak in luke-warm water. The warm water helps them go "#2" and calms them, I picked this up from when I worked at a herp store a while back and should be done daily. The water should come up to about half way up his/her shell and should be soaked for 30 minutes if I do remember right.

Also, what are you feeding him/her?
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
JimmyJam

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:39 am   

Thanks for the input.

I have soaked her a couple times. for some reason i forgot about the whole adjustment thing because she seamed so outgoing and chill when I first got her.

And I'm off tomorrow to go get her a box turtle pellet staple, didn't have a staple diet as of yet! :shock:

But so far, first day i got her, she got a treat of 6 wax worms, and then the next day a tiny piece of strawberry, then red leaf lettuce and a nightcrawler.
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:24 am   

If you don't mind, I'd recommend feeding him a mix of fresh greens, vegetables, fruits, and a good trusty brand of pellets all mixed together with a calcium powder. You can premix it in batches and store it for quite a few days. Feeding them a majority of mixed greens is far beneficial than pellets. Think of them as you would a RES but more veggies and fruits. I'd say a good ratio would be 40% greens of your choice(no iceberg lettuce), 20% chopped fruits, 30% veggies, and 10% pellets(it's ok if they get soggy), then dust them with the calcium powder and mix.

As for the silk worms, earthworms, crickets, etc... They should be fed as a treat every 2-3 days, and when you do give Brownie a treat make it only a couple at a time.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
JimmyJam

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:50 pm   

i feed Carolina rep-cal box turtle pellets, softened with water, blood worms, meal worms and some soft tortoise food, and i coat all that with calcium powder.
i feed her so much protien because she is a hatchling! ***

if her hide is warm, and moist and humid.... she just loves it in there. Carolina is the same way, she loves the humidity (she's the only one in florida who does :?) that could be why Brownie chills there.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:00 pm   

Lately I've been wanting a tortiose now!
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:44 pm   

It took Apollo nearly a year to get over his shyness with us. He has a routine now, and he knows that when the sun comes up, it's time for food and a bath, so he wakes up and comes out on his own and waits for us. We change his water then put his pellets in there, so that they get soft and easier to eat, plus it guarantees that he's drinking enough. As soon as he hears the pellets drop in he climbs into his water pan for about 20 minutes of eating, drinking and splashing around. We chop up veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays, so while he's playing in the water we set one of those on his rock to melt, and it's ready when he gets out. He's finally associated us with food, so he stretches up to see us better and is less nervous when we have to touch him. We rarely do though, we've found that he is much happier to just not be handled.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:16 pm   

Sounds like you got a cool routine, and he lokes it! :)
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 am   

thats cool how Apollo knows. Ive heard that land turtles and tortoises are really intelligent and are commonly known to have "routines" like you do.

like some turtles will wait in front of the fridge if they know thats where you get their food from.

haha reptile dog
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
Raphulk

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:34 am   

hahaha, that reminds me of the local fish store chicks sulcatta.

She has a bunch of sulcattas, but one in particular has a morning routine, and she was late on feeding her, she said her sulcatta came in the kitchen, and started bumpin her in the leg, backing up and then ramming again... like FOOD! haha
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion