Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Which is easier to take care of??

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 am   

you're right, i do have a cover for it. the humidity stays high cause i mist it twice daily, the two bulbs are on the one side of the container so the other side stays cool. the temp in the middle of the container stays at a steady 75-80, so i was pretty content.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 am   

Just for those interested in knowing a good enclosure that keep humidity, I'd go for a custom wooden enclosure. Vent holes should be around 2 inches in diameter. Once I get Rukiya's cage lookin nice again I will post a pic of her cage.
And for those that can't keep the humidity up an would like a quick fix, a hide box out of tupper-ware with a hole large enough for the turt to fit in would be ideal. Just make sure you have dampened moss in there so the turt gets a decent amount of the humidity. You can also mist the cage daily a few times.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
JimmyJam

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:16 pm   

I would actually recommend against wood for enclosures that require this level of humidity. If you use wood, you'll have to worry about mold. Even if you seal the wood a bunch or put down linoleum, you're taking a big risk. Plastic holds humidity much easier, however, and it doesn't mold.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:29 pm   

The humidity in my Three Toeds vivarium stays at 80 degrees. Pllants automaticly keep in the humidity, but when you water them, it keeps it even higher.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:15 pm   

untsmurf wrote:I would actually recommend against wood for enclosures that require this level of humidity. If you use wood, you'll have to worry about mold. Even if you seal the wood a bunch or put down linoleum, you're taking a big risk. Plastic holds humidity much easier, however, and it doesn't mold.

Not if it is painted, and yes there is herp safe paints out there. As far as I know they just need to be water based acrylic paints, although I can confirm the correct pain specifications I just need to call my local herp shop again. And I've kept crested geckos in this same cage for about 1 year with high humidity and had no mold problems. Also just as a side note, the herp store I worked at used the same cages with the same paint and has kept his boxies in them for years, and yes the boss had vet checks monthly.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
JimmyJam

Previous

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion