Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Which is easier to take care of??

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:24 pm   Which is easier to take care of??

(I don't think the word easy is the right word.)...But...

RES turtles or Boxes...

I know there is many types of boxes...I was tossing up getting a box turtle too... any thoughts?
Chris (Turtle Newb in training)
2 tiny RES (Cuff and Link)
1 3 Toed Boxie (Ms. Pineapple)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
chrisinva

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm   

They are completely different, so its very hard to compare which is "easier". But I would say box turtles hands down are easier.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:31 pm   

I love my RES so I don't want anyone to think I would get (rid) of or neglect them in any way..

would a box turle be at home in a 10 gallon tank ??
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
chrisinva

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:34 pm   

No. They need a lot more space than that, and they are not supposed to have glass enclosures because if they can see out, it stresses them out and all they will try to do it get out.

Check out www.austinsturtlepage.com for some good caresheets for florida, eastern and ornate boxies, and for three toeds, I would do a google search for their care.
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm   

I vote boxies, they have alot less requirements when setting up their enclosure. You only need a UV light and a basking area with a temp of around 94 degrees. There enclosure should be roughly a 40 gallon tank, although alot of people differ in opinion. I have taken care of many boxies and they all were fine in glass tanks. The cages I kept them in were custom made, wood enclosures with a plexiglass front, and they never were stressed out.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
JimmyJam

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 pm   

I keep my three toed in a glass viv. I planted it so it mimic's the forest floor where they would normally be. I have her a year now. Next year I will put her outside for good in a turtle enclosure I am making. I also have water turtles, and box turtles are so much easier. No water changes...no filter ...no smell. I only changed the vivarium once in a year. I change the water every day though. I mostly feed her in a plastic tub, and soak her a bit so she poops in there and keeps her viv clean. I have the sides covered and 6 in. across the front so she doesn't see out and get stressed. Much easier than water turtles. Here's Izzy in her viv.

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:13 am   

very cool pics...after I have my RES all set up for a long healthy life I'm getting one :)
1 Dwarf Bunny (Mischa)
chrisinva

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:08 am   

i agree. box turtles are easier then RES.

the minimum size area needed for one adult boxie is a 4X4 pen. Chris is right when he says that the glass can stress them out. if they see a way out, they could claw at the glass constantly.

i keep Carolina in a rubbermaid container. since i live in FL, and i'm in an apartment with chill roommates and a big balcony i put Carolina's container outside. she's loving it, you can tell! she doesnt hide has much, and i caught her streching out her neck to catch the sun's rays. So outdoor areas are ideal.

the only problem i have with boxies is that they are very very picky eaters. they can be eating fine on one food, then completely turn their noses up at it and never eat it again. variety is key.

also, beware if you buy an adult boxie in a petstore. they are wild, and stressed and will have problems when you take them home. boxies have a homing chip in their heads, and if they are taken too far from home they become disoriented and stress a lot easier. if you can get a captive bred hatchling from a breeder, do so. it may cost a lot of money (i dont know, mine was free!) but it is totally worth it. think of it as an investment.
also know that boxies can take up to four years to become full grown. so if you get a freshly hatched baby it will stay small for a while. i'm not condoning a 10g tank, but a 20 should be fine for the first few years.

here is Carolina's container when i first got her. i have two hides now, a better soaking dish and no food dish, she just gets fed on the concrete stone and i planted organic grass in it which she loves to burrow in. the plants are still there, just skewed around more. :) Image
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:20 am   

What size rubbermaid is that Jess? Like the ones you roll under your bed size?

I think i wanna get one of those for outside adventures, and just keep it out on the deck. Then i'd take her out there every day.
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:43 pm   

box
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
ScrewZoo

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:53 am   

naw, its about the same size as a roll under the bed one, but the walls are much higher. this one couldnt fit under my bed :)

speaking of carolina, i'mma go check on her.
- Jessy
zoologist

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 am   

she's good :) burrowing herself down under the grass. temp is staying at a good 78-80, and the humidity is right at 80%, perfect :)

by the way, Chris, i love having the rubbermaid as her main container. the walls are opaque transparant so she can't look out, but light is still allowed in. its pretty perfect.
also, if you were wondering, i use organic peatmoss as a substrate.
- Jessy
zoologist

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 pm   

So, they need the humidity at 80%?what do you do to keep it up that high? I have frog tanks and they aren't even as open as that and the humidity doesn't stay THAt high. I'm also wondering, how good at CLIMBING are boxies? how high do the sides need to be?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:21 pm   

Boxies are VERY good at climbing, so keep it high. I don't know how Jessy keeps the humidity high in a storage tub. I couldn't do it and I tried everything. If you cover the top completely, there is no air circulation. That is why I put her in the 75 gal. viv. It is really big for her being so little, and there are different temp. on each side, so she has options wheather she wants to be cool, warm or hot. The humidity stays high because I keep the moss damp, and water the plants. The plastic tub didn't work for me.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm   

Thanks Jess.
I might just go get one of those today.

Anyway, i think she has a cover on it or something that she took off for the photo, maybe not, can't remember very well.
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Next

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion