Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Boxie Not eating?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 pm   Boxie Not eating?

I've had my 3-toed for over a month now. And I'm have a real problem getting him to eat I've been offering turtle pellets, Can O'Worms, and some Zoo Med box turtle food (Its wet and has a strong smell). Anywho, scene I’ve had him I’ve only seen him eat VERY few pellets

All day he just hides (sleeps) I mean ALL day.
I've made sure the light isn’t to bright and humidity and temperature is good so I'm not sure what’s up?

I have also been giving him warm baths to encourage him to eat I count how much food I put in then leave for a while. However, nothing is ever gone. What can I do?

Food is always available for him to get. I know offering live would probably solve my problem but the local store only carries crickets. However, I am planing on going to a pet store this weekend and picking up so worms.

What can I do for my box turtle?
Oh, and could he be able to catch live crickets?
:?
Thanks In advanced. :wink:
notoch351

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 am   

I just typed this long response and it disappeared..ugh..

If this is a baby boxie you're referring to, it's totally normal for him to bury/hide himself. It's their only protection when they're that little. As long as temps/humidity are appropriate, he should be fine.

Go ahead and offer some crickets. My boxie loves hunting them down. Take the big back legs off so they can crawl, but can't jump. This makes them easier to catch.

I'd stop with the 'baths' as well. As long as there's a water dish that he can easily get in and out of, you're good.

It took my boxie over a year before he'd eat anything that didn't move. He's 3 years old now and still won't eat pellets.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 am   

baby boxies are so picky! one day they'll love a type of food, the next they refuse to eat it.

What is working well for me is buying frozen blood worms and letting them thaw in a little dish. i throw in a few box turtle pellets and that way they soak up the blood worm juice as it defrosts, and then that way its easier for the babies to eat the pellets.

Jose still has trouble eating, i have to hold him by the food and occasionally shove his nose into the blood worms until you can see a light click on in his little brain that says "oh! this is yummy and i should eat it!" I also have to hold Carolina there until she eats too. maybe that would work for you?
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:51 pm   

Hey, It’s been a while. Thanks for your help,
I tried live mealworms however he didn't seem interested at all!
He has not eaten in a while is this all right? What can I try?

And, I’m getting these little white bugs in the substrate. How can I get rid of them without replacing all the dirt? Do you think bleach and water would be all right?
notoch351

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 pm   

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingb ... urtles.htm

This is the best site for raising baby turtles (boxies..water turtles). There is a section on eating, and loads of pictures. Take a look. He will answer any questions you have.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:38 pm   

TerryO - Thanks, I've been on turtle tails many times and find them to be a very helpful site.

After a little help from ATP I realized his temperature WAS off.
After I boosted the temperature,
Bear is slowly starting to become more active and is eating and just recently coming out on his own in the morning.

Thanks everyone :)
notoch351

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion