Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: I'm pretty psyched

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:57 am   I'm pretty psyched

Ok so here's the exciting thing. I seriously got Varuka my 2.5 inch baby eastern to eat banana while I was holding her and the banana in my hands. And I am just thrilled to pieces about this because it happened twice! At first I thought maybe she was just trying to bite me, but when she kept taking bites of the banana and actually "chewing" it and waiting before taking another bite I realized this wasn't an act of aggression or fear. (She's never been afraid of me before at all anyway.)

Ok and the second great thing about her is this, I have seen with my eyes on two difference occasions, my little Varuka, eat two full sized crickets :) And I didn't have to do anything to help her. Apparently these little babies aren't as helpless as we'd like to believe. I didn't have to pull the legs off these crickets or anything. I can't make myself do that anyhow. I don't touch bugs, I can't stand the feeling of something touching me. It's a phobia.

So all my worries about my little baby not eating are gone. She was eating all along. I knew crickets couldn't just vanish, I was pretty sure teleporting was impossible.

I just had to share my news with everyone here, my friends that don't speak turtle all think I'm crazy :shock:
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:31 am   

Great to hear, it's always a relief to see the little ones start to adjust and eat. Hand feeding the babies is always fun while it lasts :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:31 am   

I was definitely relieved to see her eat with my own eyes rather than just assume that she was eating. The hand feeding was the best part :) for sure.
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:23 pm   

steve wrote:Great to hear, it's always a relief to see the little ones start to adjust and eat. Hand feeding the babies is always fun while it lasts :)

ah so true, i remember when I crossed that line and didn't know it

ouch, who knew it would pinch that much ahah
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
Raphulk

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 pm   

I still occasionally hand feed, but it depends on the food and how alert I'm feeling. I just pull back a little after the lunge and hold it so they will meet my finger nail if they make contact. :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:59 am   

So far she has had good aim :) or maybe I'm just holding the food the right way and getting lucky. But she's so tiny I don't think her little mouth would huth so much just now... Give her a few years though and I'm sure I'll change my tune.
Swaypippin

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion