Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Still concidering that box turtle! Need advice...

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:33 am   Still concidering that box turtle! Need advice...

As I mentioned before, someone offered me a baby box turtle. basically it's semi-captive bred, I guess you could say. She has a bunch of boxies she keeps outdoors. They came from all over, mostly wounded on the side of the road or "pets" that others didn't want anymore. They bred and had babies. She feeds them and they are used to seeing people, so I wouldn't call them wild..but they live outside and were allowed to hibernate (just one season, since they have only been alive that long.) She promised me one (or more if I wanted!) when they "wake up" I spoke to her maybe 2 weeks ago, and she said she has seen the adults but not the babies, but that was expected, as she says the babies stay under ground longer. I REALLY do want to take one, but I didn't want to try and keep it without being prepared. Some have suggested keeping it outdoors, since I live in their natural habitat, but I am concerned about putting such a small baby out doors, And I am not comfortable hibernating it in the winter. But then I read Aquariums were not ideal either...But I think I might have found a solution....

I saw this item on Petco's website:

http://www.petco.com/product/106684/Zoo ... s_Habitats

It looks secure enough to keep a baby or adult safe, and since it says indoor/outdoor, I could put him outside in the summer, and bring him indoors in the winter while keeping his enclosure the same, minimizing the stress of a move! Does this sound like a good plan? is this a good enclosure?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:19 pm   

I don't know the specifics on box turtle care- I'd look it up on ATP or other good sites. It is best to keep them outdoors if you live in a suitable habitat- even if it's only for part of the year.

I think you can make a turtle table for much cheaper than buying that one, and it will be better quality. Also, you'd likely want a larger area for the boxie to walk around in... I think they need something huge like 3x3 or 4x4 minimum as adults. I'd also likely build the box higher because once you add the substrate there isn't much room left in the petco option.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:33 pm   

That's a wonderful little set up for a hatchling. I think it would be fine for a few years. When you bring it in for the winter you would have to put a long tube ...about 5.0 UVB on top for low light.
My Three Toed is almost two now and she is in a 75 gal. vivarium. Planted for humidity. I personally like vivariums for keeping in humidity for hatchling and young boxies. Outside is the best for adults though. She is outside now for the summer...don't know if I will leave her out for the winter yet. My little Eastern is in a 20 gal planted vivarium. She doesn't go outside at all unless I am there to watch her for an hour or so in very warm weather. Mostly hatchlings just eat and dig under and you won't see them for the rest of the day until they come out to eat again the next day. So the enclosure doesn't have to be that big until they are older.
Terry
Terryo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion