Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Box Turtle Hibernation

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 pm   Box Turtle Hibernation

I've had my turtle for over 6 years. Every fall/winter she hibernates outside for 5-6 months. Never any problems. Comes out every spring. Very active. All over the yard and even comes in the house. This year it's completely different. She came out in spring but kept going back underground. Then we'd see her for a day then not for weeks. The food and water is not touched in that time. I fear she's sick and I want to help but I'm afraid to disturb her (I know right where she is in the garden). I need advice on whether I can remove her from hibernation and take her to a vet or just let nature take its course. Thanks for any suggestions.
Hoo-Hoo

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 pm   

Take her out as soon as you can...check her eyes to see if they are puffy and shut...hold her with two hands (thumb's underneath)..very gently squeeze her and see if anything comes out of her nose, like bubbles. Something similar happened to my Ornate, and she had a respiratory infection and I had to give her shots for 7 days.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm   Hirbernation question continued...

Thank you Terry for the info. I checked the turtle and she was fine. Shell, body, face, etc. all fine. Now, I'm still concerned with the odd hibernation issue...shouldn't she be out eating, putting on weight, sunning in the spring and summer all to go hibernate in the fall and winter...she's hibernating all year round this time...any feedback on this oddity will be appreciated.
Hoo-Hoo

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:14 pm   

What is the weather like where you live? We have had cool, rainy weather in the beginning of the summer, and then it finally got hot. Could this have anything to do with it. Could she be egg bound? ...there are so many possible things that could go wrong. Maybe you should just take her out and have her checked by a vet. I wish I was more help to you.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:41 pm   Hibernation

Thank you again Terry...we live in California and the weather is very hot now but has been beautiful and warm all spring. She did lay 2 non-fertile clutches of eggs last year so maybe it is an egg problem. I'll find a vet and take her in. Thank you and I'll let you know what happens.
Hoo-Hoo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion