Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: i need some help Now!

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:42 pm   i need some help Now!

I found a lady that is going to give me her red footed tortoise for 100 dollars including the lamps and accessories. the tort is the size of a football. my question is.... is the tort going to get much bigger, and should i wait and save up the 250 dollars to buy a russian ( all accesories included) can a fed foot be an indoor tortoise?
1 Juvenile RES GILBERT
2 baby res yet to be named
1 Russian tortoise Drago
gilbertdean27

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm   

Hey, I don't know much about them, however a coworker of mine has a red footed tortoise that is about 15lbs right now. He says he expects him to get to about 30lbs. I think males are larger and heavier than females.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:34 pm   

I don't know what kind of Redfoot it is, but they really need very special care. They need heat up to 87 - 90 degrees all the time..you will need a heat emitter on 24/7. They do not bask, but need low light, so on one side a long tube 5.0 UVB light. High humidity up to 80 degrees all the time. NOT wet substrate, so it is hard to keep in the humidity. I use plants in my indoor enclosure and just water the plants, so the substrate isn't wet. They need a humid hide. So...low light..high humidity...heat. They should be outside in the summer when it is warm, and they do not hibernate, so will have to come in for the winter. I have mine on a feeding plan since he is 1 month old...greens for 2 days, fruit 1 day and a small amount of protein once a week, sprinkled with pure calcium.

This is inside:

outside:
Terry
Terryo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion