Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Terrarium

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 pm   Terrarium

Where can I find a terrarium for my baby box turtle? He's about an inch and a half right now and in a 29 gallon Rubbermaid tub. I would really like a terrarium for him, but I can't seem to find any place that sells them.
misterturtle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 pm   

When you say terrarium, what exactly do you mean? most of what I see marketed as a "terrarium" is taller then it is long/wide and made of glass...not exactly ideal for boxies. I've got my baby boxie in a rubbermaid myself and it seems to make a pretty good "terrarium" so far. If you want something a little prettier, maybe try looking up some kind of tortoise tables, but with the boxie you will need something that can handle a higher humidity.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 am   

-Chris
papoopeepoo

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 am   

That's just what I was thinking of myself, (I would like to upgrade Gherkin my boxie to that when he gets bigger) but do you think it will hold up to the higher humidity a boxie needs?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 am   

imderanged wrote:When you say terrarium, what exactly do you mean? most of what I see marketed as a "terrarium" is taller then it is long/wide and made of glass...not exactly ideal for boxies. I've got my baby boxie in a rubbermaid myself and it seems to make a pretty good "terrarium" so far. If you want something a little prettier, maybe try looking up some kind of tortoise tables, but with the boxie you will need something that can handle a higher humidity.

I want something long or wide, as opposed to high. I did read that all glass aquariums or terrariums were bad for them. Do you have any pics of yours? I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just something that will keep up with the humidity and such.
misterturtle

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:15 pm   

I don't have any pics right now. I don't have access to my own comp at the moment. But it just a squarish rubbermaid with ecco earth (coco fiber) on the bottom (he loves to dig in it). I put one of those half log hides in but he doesn't use it, he just digs in when he wants to hide. But I have a heat bulb and a UVB bulb focused on it so the coco fiber dried out quickly. I added terrarium moss laid on top of the coco fiber and it keeps the humidity in much better, and he loves to crawl in it. He sits under the moss and doesn't burrow all the way into the dirt now and gets more light filtered through the moss.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:36 pm   

Just build your own.....
jozzep

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:16 pm   

imderanged wrote:I don't have any pics right now. I don't have access to my own comp at the moment. But it just a squarish rubbermaid with ecco earth (coco fiber) on the bottom (he loves to dig in it). I put one of those half log hides in but he doesn't use it, he just digs in when he wants to hide. But I have a heat bulb and a UVB bulb focused on it so the coco fiber dried out quickly. I added terrarium moss laid on top of the coco fiber and it keeps the humidity in much better, and he loves to crawl in it. He sits under the moss and doesn't burrow all the way into the dirt now and gets more light filtered through the moss.

Ah, that's kinda like how I have mine. Except I used that ReptiBark stuff for the bottom and layered the top with sphagnum moss. I used the half log, as well. Do you just mist it with a spray bottle or what?

Jozzep - I would build my own, but I don't have any tools. lol
misterturtle

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:03 am   

I keep all my hatchlings in a glass vivarium. They keep in the humidity, which is essential for hatchlings.
I also keep any boxie that can't hibernate, in vivariums for the winter.
This has worked for me for many years.

Terry
Terryo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion