Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Box turtle adoption

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:12 pm   Box turtle adoption

Now that I have had my eastern box turtle for a while, I was thinking about getting another one. I really dont want to get one from the pet store or a breeder, I would really like to adopt one. The thing is there isint any places I know of in ky that have turtles up for adoption. Does anybody know of a good place to adopt one from? It has to be a female eastern, so I dont have to worry about breeding or other issues.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 pm   

just use google and search
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:14 pm   

rsour24 wrote:just use google and search

I have used google, I havent found anything. I was just wondering if maybe any of you guys might know of someplace.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:34 pm   

Whats the problem with pet stores and breeders?
I like turtles ;]
Sir Max

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:21 pm   

Sir Max wrote:Whats the problem with pet stores and breeders?

I have my own personal problems with both. How many turtles are out there that dont have a home, and breeders are making more of them. My problem with the pet stores is most of my local pet stores get all of thier turtles from the wild. So I would much rather get a boxie from a rescue or adopt one.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 pm   

Okay, after doing alot of research and calling alot of rescues, I found a guy in tennesse who has a female 3 toed boxie. But I was wondering is it okay to put a 3 toed in with a eastern boxie? Both are about the same size and both are females. The guy says he will give the turtle to me all I have to do is pay for shipping.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:17 am   

RR38, I've had multiple species of turtles (NOT snappers) in the same enclosure and they worked it out among themselves. Keeping an eye out for any bullies. Double check on speical feeding needs, but mine did very well togethers. Keep us updated!!
Jazz
Columbus, OH
Jennifer Jasmin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:18 pm   

You can try petfinder.com and check for rescues at www.anapsid.org
Craigslist.org often has turtles for adoption.

Keeping an eastern female with a three-toed female shouldn't be a problem, but be aware that each local population of box turtles probably has it's own endemic diseases that may or may not affect non-local box turtles. In most cases, there's no poblem adding a new turtle, but be aware that there is always a risk of disease when adding a new turtle to a current resident.

If there's one in TN that needs a good home, and you have a good home, I say go for it. I'd recommend UPS or Delta Dash for shipping next day (or in case of Delta Dash, same day).

Katrina
Katrina

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 pm   

Katrina wrote:You can try petfinder.com and check for rescues at www.anapsid.org
Craigslist.org often has turtles for adoption.

Keeping an eastern female with a three-toed female shouldn't be a problem, but be aware that each local population of box turtles probably has it's own endemic diseases that may or may not affect non-local box turtles. In most cases, there's no poblem adding a new turtle, but be aware that there is always a risk of disease when adding a new turtle to a current resident.

If there's one in TN that needs a good home, and you have a good home, I say go for it. I'd recommend UPS or Delta Dash for shipping next day (or in case of Delta Dash, same day).

Katrina

I actually went and got her saturday. I live in kentucky and drove down to tennesse and got her. I have her in a 55 gallon tank right now just to monitor her. I have a appointment to see a vet on tuesday(only have one local reptile vet in my town, and she only sees turtles on tuesdays, I know its really stupid to only see turtles one day a week) but I just want to get her tested and checked out. She is eating well and seems healthy. However she is much smaller than what the guy told me. She is the size of a half dollar, if that.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38