Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Boxie loves water.. is this normal?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 pm   Boxie loves water.. is this normal?

So as some of you know I have a eastern boxie that I rescued from a bad home. I have really got her looking good now and in a proper setup. She has become very comfortable with me and her new surrondings. But one thing I noticed since I put in her little "pond" is she gets in it and stays in it 95% of the time. She comes out at night gets some food and goes right back in. Is this normal or is something wrong? Should I take the water out for part of the day? I keep her humidity at 75%-80% and the temperatures for the "cool" side of the tank is 75F and the warm side is around 85F-87F. Also the bedding is moist, I use eco earth, repti bark and also some potting soil. She seems healthy, but I was just wondering if she is supposed to like water so much.

Here is a picture of the "pond". If you look real hard you can see her behind the fake ivy plant.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:27 pm   

My Three Toed's will sit in the water a lot. The Eastern will also sit in the water .......sometimes for hours too. Do you have any other plants where she can hide under? Maybe she's using the plant as a hide, and that's why she's in the water a lot. What are your temp.'s? They will also go in the water to cool off.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm   

Terryo wrote:My Three Toed's will sit in the water a lot. The Eastern will also sit in the water .......sometimes for hours too. Do you have any other plants where she can hide under? Maybe she's using the plant as a hide, and that's why she's in the water a lot. What are your temp.'s? They will also go in the water to cool off.

Actually those are all old pics, I have since put in more plants, both live and fake. I dont use a hide. I had a log in there, but she never hid in it and it was taking up space. If she wants to hide she burrows down. The thing I am more concerned about is if there is something wrong with her.
Temperatures for the "cool" side of the tank is 75F and the warm side is around 85F-87F
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:10 pm   

Those temp.'s sound fine to me. Mine are about the same. I don't use a hide either. I just have a lot of moss and leaf litter on one side and that's what they will dig under. If her eyes are clear, she's eating and not acting sickly, then I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 am   

She looks healthy. Her eyes are clear and she feels heavy when you pick her up. She also eats like a pig. This thing eats a box of strawberries, a box of blackberries, a bunch of dandelion flowers and leaves, and like 20 or 25 earthworms a week. Plus I usually buy 1 other fruit or veggie to throw in to the salads I make for her. She also loves her once a week treat, a very small piece of cooked chicken. You want to see a turtle move quick, put a piece of chicken in her tank :lol:
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm   

That's wonderful!! I wish mine ate all that. You are deffinately doing something right.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:32 pm   

When a box turtle spends most of the day (and/or night) in the water, it can be an indication of a medical problem. Has a fecal sample been tested? Pinworms, roundworms, and coccidia can be problematic, and the bioload of those builds up over time in a captive environment, so that something that wasn't a problem (or even detectable) a few months or years before can suddenly cause a problem.

Sudden excessive soaking can also be an indication of egg binding, or impending egg laying, or post egg laying. If she's really heavy, you can palpalte for eggs or get an x-ray taken to check for them. Just because she hasn't been with a male doesn't mean she can't develop eggs.

Watch her for respiratory and ear infection if the other issues have been ruled out.

Katrina
Katrina

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:46 am   

My boxie NEVER goes in the water on his own, I have to PUT him in the water, and he climbs out after a few minutes. He's still really young though, does that make a difference?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:04 pm   

imderanged wrote:My boxie NEVER goes in the water on his own, I have to PUT him in the water, and he climbs out after a few minutes. He's still really young though, does that make a difference?

That's a bit different. Young turtles often feel threatened and thus want to hide more. Try putting an artificial silk plant in or over the water pan, so that he feels safe while he's in the water, and he might stay in there longer. Make sure the substrate is damp enough - little boxies can easily develop shell deforminites without enough humidity.

You can try feeding Reptomin pellets in the water, too.

Katrina
Katrina

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion