Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Baby Boxie Behavior

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:11 pm   Baby Boxie Behavior

Just wondering, do your boxies climb? Gherkin has decided he likes to be up high. Every day he comes up out of the dirt and climbs up on top of his log, the highest point in his enclosure. After him spending all winter hiding, it's really cool to walk by and find him chilling out up there just looking up at me :)
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:14 pm   

thats awesome, i really want a boxie :(
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:34 pm   

well, my boxie loves to climb to. She has a log as well that she gets on top of. But she loves the water even more. She sits in her pond for hours, then she climbs out, eats some food, digs in and goes to sleep for the night. About 7:00am when her lights come on she starts the process all over again.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 pm   

RR38 wrote:well, my boxie loves to climb to. She has a log as well that she gets on top of. But she loves the water even more. She sits in her pond for hours, then she climbs out, eats some food, digs in and goes to sleep for the night. About 7:00am when her lights come on she starts the process all over again.

I don't know why but Gherkin isn't big on soaking. I even have a special bowl with a ramp for him to get in and out, but he never used it on his own. I have to put him in there to make sure he soaks and gets a drink and he climbs back out after just a few minutes.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 pm   

it wouldnt happen to be a zoo med repti-ramp bowl would it? I had the biggest one zoo-med makes, and my boxie hated it. She sat in it for maybe 5 seconds if I put her in it, she took a drink and that was it. The pond I have now is a rubbermaid tote that I put a bunch of stones in to make different water levels. Ever since I put the pond in she has increased her activity level. She used to stay hidden all the time in the substrate, now she is out everyday.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 am   

RR38 wrote:it wouldnt happen to be a zoo med repti-ramp bowl would it? I had the biggest one zoo-med makes, and my boxie hated it. She sat in it for maybe 5 seconds if I put her in it, she took a drink and that was it. The pond I have now is a rubbermaid tote that I put a bunch of stones in to make different water levels. Ever since I put the pond in she has increased her activity level. She used to stay hidden all the time in the substrate, now she is out everyday.

Yeah it is! huh, I wonder why they hate it?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:50 pm   

I have a boxie who loved to climb when she was little too. Now that she's older, she doesn't do it any more.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 pm   

imderanged wrote:
RR38 wrote:it wouldnt happen to be a zoo med repti-ramp bowl would it? I had the biggest one zoo-med makes, and my boxie hated it. She sat in it for maybe 5 seconds if I put her in it, she took a drink and that was it. The pond I have now is a rubbermaid tote that I put a bunch of stones in to make different water levels. Ever since I put the pond in she has increased her activity level. She used to stay hidden all the time in the substrate, now she is out everyday.

Dont know why they hate the dish so much, but I have bought numerous zoo-med products over the years for my aquatic turtles, and have found most of them arent really that good. I feed my boxie natural foods, and my RES and painted turtles get tetra turtle sticks. All of my lights and heat bulbs are fluker farms and all my filters and heaters are whisper brand. About the only thing I buy anymore that zoo-med makes is my boxies bedding, and I could make that from potting soil for a lot cheaper. What I am trying to say is just because its a name brand product like zoo-med it isint always a good product.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:26 am   

RR38 wrote:
imderanged wrote:

Dont know why they hate the dish so much, but I have bought numerous zoo-med products over the years for my aquatic turtles, and have found most of them arent really that good. I feed my boxie natural foods, and my RES and painted turtles get tetra turtle sticks. All of my lights and heat bulbs are fluker farms and all my filters and heaters are whisper brand. About the only thing I buy anymore that zoo-med makes is my boxies bedding, and I could make that from potting soil for a lot cheaper. What I am trying to say is just because its a name brand product like zoo-med it isint always a good product.

Yeah I like zoo-med for some things and not others.... I buy Reptisafe and I think I have Zoo-med Under tank heaters, I don't really like their foods....But this is a water dish, how do you mess that up? I'm trying to figure out WHAT it is that the turtle objects to, what does the bowl smell funny???LOL
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion