Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: BOXTURTLE FOODS

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:44 am   BOXTURTLE FOODS

I'm going to a reptile show soon. Gherkin is STILL only eating mealworms. I was figuring on looking for some different kinds of feeders that I can't find for sale locally like pillbugs. Any more suggestions for either feeders or packaged foods to look for at the show for boxies?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm   Re: BOXTURTLE FOODS

pinkie mice (not live of course), silk worms, wax worms, butter worms. Wax worms are supposed to be like turtle 'crack'. I know there is a canned food for boxies but I'm not sure of the brand. There's also a dehydrated one that has fruit, veggies and bits of bugs and you just add water. Again, not sure of the brand *possibly zoomed* as it hasn't been available here for at least a year. Find someone there that has boxies for sale and pick their brain as well.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:37 pm   Re: BOXTURTLE FOODS

The canned food for boxies is zoo-med, it has mostly banana and corn in it. The dehydrated food is san fransico bay brand. There are others out there, but I find most boxies dont like any of them. And imderanged, I find it odd the only thing your boxie eats is mealworms. Have you tried strawberries? How about a tomato? My little eastern used to have this problem of not eating. What I did is make her a salad that she loves. There is actually two of them I make. One has tomato, strawberries, cantalope, and collard greens. The other has tomato or strawberries, corn, green beans and collard greens. She likes the first one better but eats both. I also throw in some nightcrawlers (homeraised, never ever but baitshop worms) and she goes crazy at feeding time. Just chop up all the stuff real small and they go crazy. I had a freind who couldnt get his 3 toed to eat anything, but I gave him some of my salads and his boxie chows down on them.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:09 am   Re: BOXTURTLE FOODS

I've tried strawberries (he won't touch them), but never tomatoes.(I'll try it!) I have tried the commercial foods available in the petshop, that canned Zoomed stuff and the dried zoo med pellets you add water to (again, won't touch it) I tried vegetable and meat flavored baby foods, and fresh fruits and veggies (strawberry, banana, lettuce, sweet potato..etc) he won't touch it. SOMETIMES he will eat a red wiggler. I heard they are supposed to like those wax worms, but they always look half dead from the pet shop and if it doesn't move he won't eat it. He'll eat one sometimes and turn up his nose the next. I tried putting the meal worms on top of the other food to get him to taste it, and that didn't work either. I even tried soaking Pickles Reptomin in water and feeding it to Gherhkin and he doesn't want it. Gherkin is still very young, 5 months old. He does eat the meal worms, walks around his enclosure every day, gets drinks of water and climbs up on his log to bask.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:51 pm   Re: BOXTURTLE FOODS

Have you tried mazuri? I also give venison. I chop veggies and greens and fruit and add it to the soaked mazuri or venison.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:19 pm   Re: BOXTURTLE FOODS

i dont know about you but where i live pill bugs are easy to find outside. look under rocks and stuff. pill bugs are "roly polys". hope this helps some.
ohsnapitscharity

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion