Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Gherkin's Shell is soft!

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 pm   Gherkin's Shell is soft!

Gherkin is a 11 month old Eastern Box Turtle. I have had him since he was hatched. His diet has been mostly worms :? he's been a very picky eater. He eats meal worms, red wigglers and wax worms. Recently he has decided he will eat small crickets and even chases them. I added calcium w/ D3 to some of his meals. He would not eat vegetables but I kept offering them. VERY recently he ate a tiny piece of carrot and I noticed that squash is a BIG hit with my Russian so I tried that today and he actually ATE it. I have been using a ceramic heat emmiter and a 2.0 compact fluorescent bulb on his rubbermaid enclosure. The reason I use the 2.0 is that when I first got him he hid all the time and I thought the 5.0 I had at the time was irritating him so I switched. Every day he walks around his enclosure, climbs up his log to sit closer to his lamp and often take a dip in his water dish. He seems active alert and healthy.....
BUT, recently I have become concerned with his shell. I included the pictures so you could give you opinions on the growth of his shell. The marginal scutes look 'odd' to me but I'm not sure what they should look like. Everything IS symmetrical though. My biggest concern is that if I press in the side of his shell, it feels like it 'gives' slightly. I would not describe it as 'spongy' or 'mushy' more like something with some hardness, but that is thin and hollow that bends slightly when you apply pressure, like a plastic bottle (not as much give as a water bottle, maybe slightly more than a prescription drug bottle? I'm trying to be as descriptive as I can). I want to try and improve his diet and lighting as soon as possible but I'm not sure where to start. I am strongly considering getting a MegaRay UVB bulb but I'm afraid it might be too strong for him. I also wanted to know what the best vitamin supplements for a box turtle are. Any help is appreciated!!!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 am   Re: Gherkin's Shell is soft!

Wish I have some ideas to help, though the Tortoise.org mailing list on Yahoo is very good. Hopefully this gets bumped up...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:18 pm   Re: Gherkin's Shell is soft!

well, the hatchling still seems pretty young and my red ear sliders shell didn't harden after about a year and a couple of months. i was concerned too on why my baby was so soft but i knew as it got older it would change. give it a month or two and if its shell its still soft then maybe there is something wrong.
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 pm   Re: Gherkin's Shell is soft!

You could also expose him to direct sunlight maybe 30 minutes to an hour every day. I think direct sunlight is much better. UVB lamps are great, but you can add some sun time if you want.
sagoy

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion