Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: I'm afraid my friend's box turtle isn't getting proper care.

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:15 pm   I'm afraid my friend's box turtle isn't getting proper care.

My friend Jennifer has a box turtle that's around a year old. I fell in love with it and that's actually what inspired her and some of my friends to buy me a RES.

Of course now that I've read up on turtle care I'm afraid her box is not getting the proper care. It's in a circular tank that's probably near 7 to ten gallons. It has rocks and fake plants, hiding places, etc. There is no basking light or heating. Of course I'm not sure if box turtles need basking light. Anyway her house is kept at 70 degrees at the most.

They feed Frankie (the turt) pellets and I think she has a little water bowl. I casually asked Jennifer today if Frankie ever gets any water and she said yes that she's just been hibernating lately. The turtle has grown quite a bit in the last few months. From what I can tell there is no sign of pyramiding or shell deformities.

For those of you who do know how box turtles should be taken care of do you think Frankie is getting the proper treatment? I don't know what to say to the family that owns her because really, it's not my place. I mean, they were the ones who bought me my turtle. It's just a sticky situation. They don't mistreat the turtle but I'm just not sure the turtle is getting everything it needs.
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:17 pm   

First, find out what kind of box turtle they have. I can tell you tho, no matter what kind it is, it's really not getting everything it needs.

The tank should be a lot bigger and it shouldn't be in a glass tank. I use a large rubbermaid for my baby eastern box turtle. There are pics of it throughout the forum. Every reptile/turtle needs heat and uvb to be healthy.

Try printing out some of the box turtle care sheets here and tell her you just thought she'd want to take a look. Tell her you're learning something new here and thought she might appreciate the extra info :-)

On each of the care sheets it gives the basics of temperature/humidity requirements, what to feed, and suggestions for proper enclosures.

Good luck :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:55 pm   

Although I can't contribute to the box turtle conversation per se.. I can relate to the delicacy of talking to a friend about the lack of proper care for their turtle. My oldest and dearest friend's son has a turtle and the conditions the poor thing is in is appalling. I've made mention to her about the things they should have but quickly get the.. well it's only a turtle remark. She says I over spend and over indulge my turtles. Heaven forbid I give them anything other than pellets.. haha. I've tried talking to her son but he has the same attitude. There's nothing more you can do but offer the info and then they can do or not do what they feel they need. It's tough though. I'm just thankful that when I do go visit the turtle isn't in any of the rooms I go in, it's in her son's bedroom and I stay far away because it would only upset me :(
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:45 am   

This is how I got my first box turtle- she was being mistreated. And yes, the turtle you are talking about is being mistreated. If someone did not hit a child, but starved them instead, or fed the child only popcorn, wouldn't you call that mistreatment?

The box turtle you describe definitely is not being fed correctly, nor is it getting the UV it needs. Box turtles need UV even more than do RESs.

Without knowing how big it is, or the size of the container, I don't know if it has enough space. I think a hatchling box turtle can be kept in a ten-gallon aquarium, and have plenty of space, but as it grows it will need more.

I suggest that you buy your friend a copy of "The Box Turtle Manual." This book has lots of information and is considered a basic box turtle care booklet. Once your friend finds out what all her turtle needs, maybe she will provide it. If she does not provide it, then that's when you need to take action, such as reporting her to the SPCA or local humane society.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:09 am   

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The turtle is about the size of the palm of your hand, reptilegrrl.

I'll try and just supply her with care sheets and see what she thinks.

I absolutely cannot turn her into the humane society since I am not only her friend but I work with her also. Hopefully I can sensibly to talk to her without her feeling angry or attacked.
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:27 pm   

You said "I absolutely cannot turn her into the humane society since I am not only her friend but I work with her also."

To be honest, I don't understand this attitude. Are bad things okay when your friends or coworkers do it? Is wrong right if the right person does wrong?
reptilegrrl at school

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:42 pm   

She's my co-producer on a television show. She's not a mean person and isn't hurting the turtle on purpose. She just doesn't know any better. Her and her family love Frankie and think they are taking care of her properly. So I will slyly give her care sheets and mention the things that Frankie needs and doesn't have in a nice way without being like "I AM SO TELLING THE HUMANE SOCIETY ON YOU!".

Besides the fact that our local animal shelter is absolutely pathetic and only deals with cats and dogs.

I'm sorry that it sounded like I was just going to let the turtle suffer. I made this post to see if I was right about the turtle needing more for it's habitat and I guess I am. So I will do everything to my ability to help the turtle but ultimately the only option I feel I have is to do my best to help the turtle out. If I have to go and buy her a new habitat and lamps and such then I will do it.

I'm sorry if you felt I wasn't going to try and help the turtle.
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:33 pm   

I just hope your friend appreciates what you are trying to do for that little critter. There should be more people like you :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:45 pm   

It's just one of those sticky situations where you have to be careful. I don't want her to feel like I'm attacking her because she might just get angry and completely ignore any of my future attempts.
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:08 pm   

I don't have a boxie, but the way I'd handle it is ever so casually drop into the conversation that while you were on the forum for your RES turtle you noticed the box turtle section. You were curious and decided to read up on some things there. Then you can mention some of the things you learned and make it sound like a conversation instead of an "intervention" so to speak. Maybe she'll pick up on it that way, and you could offer her the address to the care sheets or just offer them to her.

Hope it works out for you. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 am   

That sounds like a sly way of doing it but for some reason I think her and my other co-producer on the show feel like I've taken the "turtle" thing too far. They along with another of my friends bought me Veronica and they know I spend a bit of time on this board. I think that they think that I'm too concerned over taking care of Veronica. So when I asked the other day if Frankie (the boxie) ever got any water Jennifer (the owner) seemed defensive right off of the bat.

I'm just going to have to be careful and try and get Frankie the proper care she deserves. I was thinking of telling her there was a sell on basking lights and just buying one myself. I can't really afford it right now but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do. :)
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:57 am   

I can't stand people that are so preoccupied with being 'right' that they let their pets suffer. I know someone like that too. Her 10in res is in a 20gal tank with 3 inches of water, no lights and she says it's fine. She swears I just spoil mine.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:16 pm   

So she knows how to properly take care of her RES but isn't?
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:39 pm   

Well I've told her what mine have and she looked at my like I was nuts. Told me mine were spoiled and hers is just fine the way it is. I really don't believe she's ever done any kind of research. I even offered to take it off her hands because she said she was sick of it but her son pitched a fit and wanted to keep it.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:53 pm   

People have some strange ideas about pets, especially reptiles, and what they need. Turtles don't speak/vocalize pain, so one has to be more observant.

Buffyfan, just don't make your friend feel defensive if you decide to try to educate her about her turtle's care.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion