Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Heres the deal

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:03 pm   Heres the deal

I want to get another kind of turtle that doesn't need water to swim in like the RES does.But does anyone know any other good turtles that are non aqatic?I have herd about the box turtle is that a good turtle?Well please let me know if you have any ideas!

thank you,Tori
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm   

I just read the care sheets and hwo many of you keep your box turtles in a glass tank?
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:15 pm   

I'm not sure how many here have box turtles but I'd never recommend a glass tank. I keep mine in a 46gal rubbermaid container. When he gets bigger I plan on building a pen. I assumed that a land turtle wouldn't be as much work as a water turtle but the time spent cleaning/feeding/worrying is about the same.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:00 am   

Box turtles have a lot of special needs. They are not a low-maintenance pet!
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:29 am   

Well thats the fun of it if you have a low maintenance turtle it gets boring like their just a rock in it's own habitiat.Whats a rubbermaid container even if it's plastic where do you put the light without it melting and how big can they get (the rubber maid conatiners).
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:42 am   

Maybe it's because I have rehabilitated so many box turtles that were neglected/abused/mistreated, but imo "low maintenance" does not equal "boring" and "high maintanance" does not equal "exciting."

Box turtles need a complex diet, they need special lighting, heating, and habitat, and all those differ according to species and age. They live for 80 years or so- are you ready to make that kind of commitment? Are you an independent adult or living with your parents? Do you have a lot of disposable income? Can you afford vet visits, diet, vitamins, special lighting, a house with a yard so your turtle can live outside, where they are happiest and healthiest? An adult box turtle needs a minimum of 16 square feet of habitat. That's MINIMUM 4 feet by 4 feet.

Have you done any research on your own into caring for box turtles? I mean, if you don't even know what a rubbermaid container is, it does not seem that you have done much research. Have you read "The Box Turtle Manual" or looked at Melissa Kaplan's reptile care site? There are several different species of box turtle- do you know anything about them?

I respectfully suggest that you are not, at this time, ready for a box turtle.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:02 am   

Ok OK...Does anyone know any places online that I can order supplies to be shipped internationaly?
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:11 pm   

I believe it is fairly expensive to buy turts and torts in Europe (please correct me if I'm wrong). You'll also be looking at expensive supplies if they need to be constantly shipped to you.

Most importantly, would you have access to a qualified and trained herp vet? If not, then I would look into more common pets in your area.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:26 pm   

I don't know about the cost yet I asked my dad and he said tha he knows of a pet store that sells only exotic animals so I plan to go their:)!Also yes I know it does cost alot for shipping I have decided that maybe I should just but from these pet stores instead I really with they had a petco or somthing like that out here.And of course they have trained herp vets alot of people are very educated in what they do out here practicaly every person out in sweden has got a good job and a colege degree after all colege is free if you have the right grades they pay you to go.

-Tori
buddys_my_turtle

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:51 pm   

I wouldn't assume anything. Make sure they actually exist and are accessible. Ask the people at that pet store about vets and what it would cost to raise a turtle over there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:30 pm   

I know there are members from other countries on here that have a difficult time of getting the proper equipment and when they do find someone to ship it, the costs are astronomical. I think this is something you really should sit down and calculate and talk to your parents about before making a decision. Ultimately they'll end up paying for everything unless you have a good paying job.. :)

Since you've been a member for awhile, you've heard about the expensives others have encountered. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:53 pm   

yes I have..

But I know forsure that they have good costs here I found out from another student here in my class that she has some RES and they sound like they are being treated unfairly so I asked her if I can buy her RES for 250 kronor:)My months allowance:)!It comes with the turtles the tank the filter the food and the gravel and everything I am right on the penga:)!
buddys_my_turtle

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion