Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: What is the proper nutrition for a tortoise?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:05 pm   What is the proper nutrition for a tortoise?

Honestly, if you know all the proper care for a tortoise, what is the proper diet? My friend has a tortoise and I think that he doesn't put all that variety of food into its diet because he feeds it strictly lettuce. Like other cases, he says I over indulge my turtles and that I take them too seriously. He says there is no necesity for sites like Red Ear Slider because it's so simple. He says it's just a bowl of water and a land mass, keep the water clean and that's it. How do I inform him that he needs to put more variety into the turtle's diet? It's pretty sticky.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:13 pm   

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:51 pm   

I couldn't e-mail him, but I memorized pretty much the whole thing and spoke to him on the phone, but I got the "It's only a turtle" comment :( . His parents have the same attitude I guess. It's just not worth it. He told me he used to have two 8" turtles in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid container :( . I don't know how to snap him out of that thought process, he once again told me I over-care for my turtles, and that's considering that my setup is crappy. Imagine what he'll say when I upgrade and all.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:44 pm   

Don't you think the article would have more of an impact on your friend if he saw those pictures?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:48 pm   

I think he has no internet connection, but I'll try to copy and paste all the important info on Wordpad.

Yay, it's my 100th post, although people could care less :lol:
Last edited by DanielRES1180 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:31 pm   

I just talked to him and I'd rather refrain from what he said, alls I'm telling is that he said that you guys should get a life because you're making turtle care harder than it really is. I'll still give him the care sheets and what not tomorrow.
I don't know if this is a reliable source since petco doesn't have a good reputation with some people, but click here to see if this care sheet is correct http://www.petco.com/caresheets/turtles/Tortoise_AfricanSpurThighed.pdf
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:45 pm   

Is this the species of tortoise he has? It would be a start. Can you print out the article from that link I gave you?

How are you presenting your views to him? Sometimes people are made to feel defensive, and if they do, they won't listen to anyone...
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 pm   

He's putting much more variety in the tortoise's diet. It would be really good if you could put a sticky in this forum on the proper nutrition for a tortoise, so people could print it out and not rely on URL's for info, so it would be in this site black and white.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion