Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Found a box turtle I'm planning to keep-

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:33 pm   Found a box turtle I'm planning to keep-

This couldn't have happened at the worst time.

We were on our way to a small store when my dad almost ran over a cat. My mom saw that it stopped somewhere on a yard and it was trying to scratch a rock. This rock turned out to be a box turtle. I shooed the cat away and picked the boxie up and I put in a small box in the car. He didn't look too good. The shell is a healthy color with no pyramiding, but it looks like it's dented in spots. As for the front paws, the right paw has two claws, while the left one has only one claw, it looked like something cut the parts of the paws where the claws were missing. I figured this poor thing couldn't take any more, so I decided to keep her (as she turned out to be a female). She's about 5 inches long.

Right now she's chilling outside in the front porch roaming around, since it's an enclosed space. I'm planning to build a pen tomorrow (since school's out because of T.S Ernesto) weather permitting. I'm pretty sure Ernesto won't be as big of a thug as those safety freaks on the news claim, so I guess I will be able to do that. I just don't know why people freak out at every squall that spins down here.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 pm   

If it is a wild turtle best to release it
http://www.redearslider.com/index_basic_care_4.html
Heather
--
1 RES Zeke 17 years (2/1/01)
6 Cats: Mercedes, Tiggles, Mouse, Raven, Smokes, Keekie
2 Dogs: Emmie & Ruby
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 am   

Sorry Daniel, but I agree. Unless she's injured, it would be in her best interest to release her.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:37 am   

I've heard that wild boxies are more aggressive than those who have been raised in captivity. Also, you don't know what you are getting into health wise. Are you prepared for some major vet costs if something is wrong with her?
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 am   

This morning I just figured this guy was more trouble than it's worth. I'll release it, but I don't know where. Just about every place has its man made dangers. Should I release it in a vacant field next to my house. I just read a care sheet on Florida boxies and the field has everything it needs.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 am   

Let it go as close as you can to where you found it. Boxies have sort of a 'homing sense'. If they're released too far from their home, they'll still try to make it back, crossing busy roads and encountering many other dangers in the process.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:41 pm   

You could also contact your state Dept. of Environmental Protection and find a licensed wildlife rehabber, who would make the decision as to where to release the turtle (you could let them know where you found it). Good luck.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:42 pm   

Maybe you could snap a few pics of her before you send her on her way?
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:08 am   

Too late. I let her go on Thursday.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion