Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Have to share my new babies!!!

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:27 pm   Have to share my new babies!!!

This picture isn't great, but I have to share my baby Red footed tortoise with everyone. The shiny thing in the pic is a quarter for size comparison. :) They just came yesterday, for now they are in a 30 gallon oval tub (black like you use for horses) They have a 36" reptisun 5.0 and a reptisun 75 watt heat light. They are eating like pigs, and seem to be doing great. :)

I really wan some baby RES after helping my family members with theirs...but I guess its illegal to have them in Ohio even if they are over 4", I can't find any anywhere.
-Jodi

One by one the animals are stealing my sanity
z-chic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:33 pm   

they are really adorable!
Last edited by scripta_elegans on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:38 pm   

Jacks Aquariums in Hilliard has RES. They are right at (maybe a bit smaller) than 4 inches. Mine came from one of those little no name kiosks in the mall, and I don't recommend that route. You might call Jacks first though and make sure they still have them. Hilliard (614) 527-8571 The Market at Mill Run 3718 Fishinger Blvd Columbus, OH 43026

They also have 4 other Columbus locations

http://www.jackspets.com/
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:21 pm   

Thanks!!! I'll give them a call. The guy I bought the baby RF from said there was a big raid at the Ohio Reptile show in Cols. a while back and that they can't sell them now. I figured it was just the babies, but he said they were all illegal now because they are a native species (like box turtles) I figured he knew what he was saying...maybe not. LMAO I would like to get some from a rescue if possible. Do you know of anyone that does turtle rescue in Ohio??? BTW where are you in Ohio again? Maybe someday we can meet up. I plan on going to the reptile show next weekend.
-Jodi

z-chic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:21 pm   

Again, it seems like sellers who were caught selling illegal turtles are giving out wrong information. My guess is they want to encourage you to buy animals they can sell and discourage you from taking your business elsewhere.

I've checked and checked and have not found anywhere that says turtles (aquatic or land) are illegal to buy. The only exception to that are turtles that are not native to the U.S. It is also illegal to sell turtles that are not native to the U.S. or smaller than 4" in shell length. Some states have laws that make it illegal to buy specific protected species of turtles, particularly those that are not able to breed in captivity or that captivity of the species will decrease the wild population, but that's as far as I've seen.

Several turtle sellers have been arrested (recently one in Ohio) for sellling turtles not native to the U.S. I think these arrests have sparked this misinformation.
My babies: Tanner (RES), MR. Prissy & Ringo (budgies), Shinju (cockatiel)

"Little dudes are just eggs, we leave 'em on the beach to hatch, and then — koo-koo ka-choo! — they find their way back to the Big Ol' Blue"
CountryGirl68

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:09 pm   

The guy that gave me that info was the guy I was buying my baby RF from, I wasn't trying to buy RES from him...I think he was just misunderstanding the situation where the reptile show was raided... At any rate, I am happy with my new babies, and looking into adopting some water turtles eventually once the pond is finished. :)
-Jodi

z-chic

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:06 am   

I'm in Newark. The Hilliard shop isn't the closest, but it's close to the teacher supply store that I love. They also have the largest selectioin of 240 gallon tanks that I have ever seen. I love to go in and just day dream. Last time I was there I asked a few question, and they seem to have a pretty good understanding of RES care...at least better than some stores. Not sure of any rescues. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't checked. I do know that there is someone on Columbus craigslist who is looking for a home for her RES. She is moving to Cali and needs to rehome one. It was posted a few days back. I think she's asking 15 for the adoption fee, and he comes with a tank that is already too small. Just thought I throw that out there. Not sure what will happen to him when she has to move and doesn't have a home for him.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:57 am   

Here is another pics of the babies in their water dish. I used a mini paint pan since it has a gradual slope for them to get out.
-Jodi

z-chic

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 pm   Re: Have to share my new babies!!!

z-chic wrote:This picture isn't great, but I have to share my baby Red footed tortoise with everyone. The shiny thing in the pic is a quarter for size comparison. :) They just came yesterday, for now they are in a 30 gallon oval tub (black like you use for horses) They have a 36" reptisun 5.0 and a reptisun 75 watt heat light. They are eating like pigs, and seem to be doing great. :)

They are so cute!!!! I love their little red arms.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
industrial_girl_2000

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:11 pm   

i want one, it seems that they will be easier to take care of. i wont need to change gallons of water all the time
mimi the turtle =]

www.myspace.com/richlopez939

have fun
cute is what we aim for

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:26 pm   

Does that paint pan still have paint on it? I wouldnt use that, especially if they are drinking out of it.
¨*:·.-:¦:- Jessica -:¦:-·:*¨
Female RES, Karlyn AKA "Moochie" :mrgreen:
Hoooneylynn

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:32 pm   

im sure she is useing a new one...they are really cheap anyway
3 turts 2 eastern painted and 1 RES
Andrew7769

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 pm   

Tortoises require extensive lighting and huge enclosures. Most people reccomend outdoor enclosures if possible. I still want one and keep them in a 4x2 aquarium....
Kallistos

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:41 pm   

andrew, I asked because there is pink paint on it
¨*:·.-:¦:- Jessica -:¦:-·:*¨
Female RES, Karlyn AKA "Moochie" :mrgreen:
Hoooneylynn

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion