Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Question about Malayan Box Turtle

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:51 am   

What ? Turtule eats frog ? I have never been seen that before. So interesting !! Will try when have time ^__^
aeo

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:18 am   

Please don't try that. Some frogs and toads can be TOXIC if eaten, resulting in a sick or dead turtle.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:01 am   

It may not be so much that they'll eat them, but they will probably at least try to bite them and take chunks out of their flesh. Not a good thing for the poor frog or for the turtle if the frog has toxins in its skin.
DavidY

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:05 pm   

Opps, I forgot about the toxic !!! Thanks for reminding me. Here are some photo of her new house :D
close up 8)
aeo

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:11 pm   

Ok, that's better, but I guess the care sheets weren't that clear.

The malayan box should not be set up as a fully aquatic (RES, map) turtle. It should be half land (dirt mixed with peat moss or bed-a-beast) and half water. They like to dig and can eat in and out of the water. You could also lower the water level slightly, or just make sure it doesn't get any higher than it is now.

Can you divide the tank somehow so you can put dirt on one side? That would be ideal.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:23 pm   

I agree with Jen. You did a very nice job with your basking platform! :) Your setup looks very nice and big, but you should try to incorporate some real land on one side of the tank. Maybe you could get a plastic storage container that is as tall as the basking platform that you have now and that will fit snuggly inside half of the tank. Fill the bottom with rocks to weigh it down and then fill it the rest of the way with the dirt mix that Jen mentioned. Drain most of the water out of the tank, put the container in, fill it with the rocks and dirt. Then use some large stones to create a ramp from the tank bottom up to the edge of the container, then fill the tank with water up to an inch below the top of the container. Try to find a container that will fill the entire half of the tank so there is no wasted space around the sides. Then you could add a piece of slate or flat rock as a basking site and maybe a big piece of cork bark propped up against the rock to provide the turtle a place to hide. Some plants (try some live non-poisonous potted plants) would be nice too.
DavidY

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:44 pm   

Thanks for your ideas. But if I make some real land on one side of the tank. The water will be dirty easily by the turtle when she walk up & down. My filter can not clean it I think. Uhm.... I got an idea : drill a hole at the bottom of the tank so that I can change the water easily. And then find a plastic container which fit my tank and put some land & plants. What do you think ? But it's very difficult to find a plastic container that fit my tank.
aeo

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:59 pm   

Yea the dirty water would be a problem. you may need to experiment with different kinds of substrate to see which would work best. The other thing you can do instead of a plastic container is get a piece of glass to use as a divider and silicone it to the bottom and sides of the tank. Then put substrate on one side and water on the other, using rocks on the water side to allow the turtle to climb over.
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:45 pm   

One thing else. She is defacating soooo much that the water become polluted immediately. That's terrible ! :shock: !! The filter can't help so that I changed the water at once.
Is there any ways to solve this ? Or I have to change the water each 2-3 days ?
aeo

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:01 pm   

What are you using for a filter? It sounds like you need a much bigger one.
DavidY

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:54 am   

I use Over flow-filter ( external ) made by me.
aeo

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 am   

That should work for biological and chemical (carbon) filtration. It sounds like you need a stronger means of mechanical filtration. Can you increase the size of the return pump from your overflow filter and direct the return into the tank so it stirs up the dirt/waste more? The size of the pump will be restricted by how much water the overflow device can handle. You should also make sure that you have a filter sponge or floss to catch the solid waste at the beginning of your filter.

If you can't increase the pump size, then you might want to get a powerful cannister filter solely for the purpose of removing the solid waste, or a separate powerhead in the tank to stir it up and keep it suspended in the water column so it can be removed by the overflow filter.
DavidY

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:02 pm   

If she's pooping that much, what, how much and how often are you feeding her?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Previous

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion