Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: hi my introduction post

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:03 pm   hi my introduction post

im 37 years old have inherited 4 sliders 5 years ago ranging from 6 to 8 inches in shell length

they spend there short english summers in an outdoor pool (approx 400gallons) and the rest of year in 200gallon internal pond under sodium and flourscent light

the main reason i registered here was to find out what sort of plants the rest of you find grow best with sliders. i have tryed many native plants but find they arnt pervassive enough and was thinking of introducing more aggresive nonnative plants

regards
sid
sidney

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:18 pm   Sidneys'ost

Hi, Sidney,
Welcome to our RES forum. Sounds like you are way ahead of some of the new RES owners so we'll be looking for some interesting and informative posts from you.
In answer to your post---Are these plants going into your pond water or are you asking about marginal plants that your turtles have no access to? The reason I ask, is that alot of plants are poisonous to turtles and all wild turtles like to munch on plants that they know are okay to eat. The same really can't be said for captive turts because they will eat, or try to, anything that is floating or grows in their water. There is a list of edible and non-edible turtle foods on this forum under " General Care and Discussions. Please be careful. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:33 pm   Sidneys' Post again

I have in my outdoor 265 gallon pond planted Helvola Water Lillies, which the turts eat with great relish, but are fast growers so keep ahead of my 7 turtles. I have a bunch of Blue Rushes on a ledge in the pond that are raised so that the container edge is out of the water. I keep the pond loaded with floating water plants for the turts to munch on and also to help keep the algae in check and also I keep a supply of Romain Lettuce leaves floating in the water. I have 5 wild Eastern Painted Turtles and a pair of almost 3 year old RESs that I've raised from hatchlings and they all go out of their way to up root any planted plants. I will add standard Bull rushes on another ledge as soon as they are in stock at my local garden center and the turts leave these alone. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.