Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi everyone! New RES mommy...

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:00 pm   Hi everyone! New RES mommy...

recently a "reptile cart" opened in our local mall and my mother so graciously bought my kids 2 baby res (less than 2 inches each) and the little lagoon - I told her thanks SO much after I read about them online and realized how much I was going to spend on her gift - lol

Anyway, after about 2 weeks (i had them in a 10 gal fish tank the day we got them - after I read how awful the lagoons are for them) I think we have a set up that's going to work best - for the moment. I have them in a 30L tank with a zoo meds 501 filter, 2 docks and a basking light. I put a few rosy red minnows in and the turts seem to like eating them, but I also feed them spinach, "turtle pellets" and have some aquatic plants in the tank they seem to enjoy eating.

I look forward to learning and sharing with ya'll!
sigywigy

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:09 pm   

Welcome! I am new too. No grandma to blame, I did it all myself...lol. But I am glad I did!!

From what I have read here, from many great sources of knowledge, is that spinach is not good for them as it keeps them from absorbing calcium, which they need very much. I am sure if I am wrong, someone who knows much more than me will correct me....and I hope they do.

Great to see you here....we can learn together. :)
Turtle_angel

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:37 pm   welcome

welcome both turtle angel and sigyigy
I have read the same thing about spinach...really good to hear you are reading the post man are they packed with good helpful info.
I am a guilty Nana too course I asked permission but.......I bought myself a little turtle(had one years ago my sad story of the lagoon bowl is here in another post)2 days after I had him my grand children came to visit me my grandson was sooooooooo fasinated with my little Nehemiah and with his big blue eyes he said I wish I had one too.....his birthday was 2 days away and he gets so many toys etc I thought what the heck and asked if I could give him my new friend and that I would get another the following week (he named HIS Jacob) so I had to go get me another one what follows next is the best part,my daughter got online and looked up red ear sliders she read and read and then rushed to the store the next day to get Jacob out of that little critter bowl I had gotten him she still feeds him there but man what a home she has for him,her and her husband really loves their sons turtle :P but more than that she called and shared with me and I found this forum so now atleast 2 of them 50 or so turts at that pet store was purchased by responsible owners thanks keep reading it helps :mrgreen:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:49 pm   

Welcome. Yes, it's wise to stay away from spinach. But feel free to give them leafy greens like dandelions, red-leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce (but no iceberg lettuce), chicory, kale and turnip greens (it's also good to stay away from broccoli and cabbage). Aquatic plants like anachris, water hyacinth and duckweed (coming into season) are also recommended.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:51 pm   

dont forget the cuddle bone (found in the bird section at the pet store)
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:51 pm   

Welcome to the board, the only thing to add is--don't be surprised if your turtles don't take to the veggies right away, they are mainly carnivorous as young turtles, they start getting into veggies when they mature(don't ask when that is).
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:20 pm   

It's good to introduce plant matter early, especially tender green leaves as mentioned above. They may surprise you--my turtles started nibbling when they were about 3 months old.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:30 pm   

My babie turtles Sugar and Spice have been eatimg greens since they were two or so months. I did keep them in there for a week or more before they realized they can eat the greens. They are now 4 months old and LOVE their veggies!! :shock:

Lat but not least, welcome to the Forum!! 8) :lol:
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.