Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New RES caregiver

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:12 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Well. Its done. Gussie is off to bigger and better things. I pray with my limited knowledge that I have managed to keep her healthy. I cried. Bawled actually. *sigh*
twoam

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

So your like turtle paparazzi? No wonder he wont share!
twoam

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 am   Re: New RES caregiver

So long Gussie! Sorry to hear her go.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:40 am   Re: New RES caregiver

The mere fact that you took Gussie in and made her life better is an achievement in and of itself. Kudos!
Here's hoping you feel better soon.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:33 am   Re: New RES caregiver

Enjoyed the story! sure things will turn out good for Gussie :D ..I also made the mistake of buying one of the useless turtle kits a 10g tank and small in tank filter. Haven't upgraded yet, but I know I will have to soon.
Kado's turtle cam
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kadokun-turtle-cam offline for now..
Kado

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

I was sorry to see her go too. But also happy because she is going to have a 400 gallon tank in her new home. My tank for Clarence is only 150. I could tell she felt crowded and Clarence has been pretty stressed. Its all good. Its always hard letting fosters go. This is why I have 5 dogs LOL.
twoam

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:04 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

you mean 40 gallons right? daaamn. :P
what are you gonna do with the 150 gal?
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

I am unfortunately computer impaired and my husband is not home but if anyone wants to see pics of Gussie (and Clarence) there are a bunch on my facebook account under Julie Rock. She was initially found by Animal Control Officers in a bucket under a sink in an abandonded house.
twoam

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

My turtle Clarence lives in the 150 gal. Gussie is going to the 400 gal home.
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:49 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

If I have not said it before, thank you so much for this site. I have not logged in for a few years, but read the information daily, and it has been invaluable. Clarence is 4 years old now, and the love of my life. Added two more dogs since my last post (7 now) and he is still the first one I cant wait to see when I get home from work. I have always loved turtles, but never knew I could love one this much. He still has his 150 gal tank. Lots of adjustments have been made (thanks to you guys) and seems pretty happy, though honestly I wish he had more room. Have been thinking about a much bigger stock tank. Selfishly, I would miss watching his antics, and we would have to purchase better filteration, but I just think he is crowded. When he dives off his basking dock, he often hits the tank walls. Anyway, just pondering things, and wanted to give an update. Will try to post some pictures if I can figure out how. Thanks again for all of your help.
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:11 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Glad to know you and Clarence are doing well! Feel free to e-mail me the pictures and I can upload them for you. If you do move to larger tanks, you will want to keep it simple for the sake of maintenance. So think stock tank or something similar.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:08 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Thank you Steve. I may take you up on that. It has been so long since posting, that there are are several things I would like to share. Right before Gussie Foster got excepted into a rescue, I heard a strange noise coming from the living room. When I went to investigate, Gussie had Clarence in her mouth, by his shell, shaking him. I was so shocked, that I started pounding on the tank screaming "let him go!". It didnt even occur to me that pounding on a glass aquarium was not entirely wise. Clarence started sleeping out of the water. He could not bask when he wanted to. We still think, and talk about Gussie often. She was so beautiful. Anyway, moral of the story is, 150 gal might seem large, but to two turtles, it is very, very small.
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:05 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

I think it all depends on the turtles. I've had 4 in the same tank for years without incident. But you never know I suppose.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

This is 2013. Nothing much has changed, except for a few more fake plants for color. Clarence is much bigger now, so we were comfortable taking the cap off the intake, and replacing it with the original FXP cover. Moves the water much better. Went through many basking docks, and finally this one won his heart. He uses the ramp for an underwater resting place, and rests, or dives off the top part. Since he has gotten so big, the suction cups are having a hard time holding him up. I worry all day at work, that it has fallen in the water. After browsing a bit, we stole an idea from Devilduck (thank you!) , and will try to ingregate some PVC this weekend, to make a brace, and hopefully save his beloved dock. The little piece of scotch tape on the left hand side, marks exactly 100 gal of water, and oddly, the exact distance from his lamp, to meet his prefered basking temp. I know it seems like a very boring tank, but it gives him lots of room to scoot around. He seems to enjoy moving his stuff around. Sometimes in the morning, it will all be under his basking dock (even the wood piece) and other times he just scatters it all over. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble :oops:
Attachments
retro - Copy.JPG
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:37 pm   Re: New RES caregiver

Kansasslider wrote:I think it all depends on the turtles. I've had 4 in the same tank for years without incident. But you never know I suppose.

I scour your posts for good info. Thank you!
twoam

PreviousNext

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.