Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: The Blitz situation

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:28 pm   The Blitz situation

Hello, My name is Nick. I have been reading everything I can on this site for the past week. I have gathered so much information and first of all I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum. I still have lot to learn.

With that out of the way I'll get to the Blitz situation. Last weekend my wife and my seven year old son went to a street fair. I had a lot of work to do around the house so I stayed home. When they got home the boy was so excited to show me what they got. A turtle! A very little turtle that my son named Blitz. Blitz is a little smaller than a fifty cent piece. They came home with a little plastic container that had a tiny raised spot in the center and some food. I have never owned a turtle and really knew nothing about them. I asked what kind it was and my son said he was a male doctor turtle :shock: my wife couldn't remember what the guy said. After some help from Google I determined he was an RES, and that is how I found you guy's.

At this point I'm just trying to keep the little guy alive until I can get an adequate habitat for him. Unfortunately, spare money is very tight right now so I had to make do with what I have. I knew he wasn't going to last long in that little plastic thing. I don't really have the money for an actual aquarium at the moment so I had to improvise.

I needed to find a way to control the temps of the water and the basking area and this is what I came up with. I had an extra storage container that was just taking up space and holds about ten gallons of water. I had a piece of granite to use for a basking platform and I made a stand for it out of 1/2" pvc. I bought a UVB lamp and a cheap clamp on light for heat. I bought the cheapest water heater I could find. I got a whisper 20-40i internal filter and made a bubble filter with a bottle an air pump a sponge and some ceramic rings. I know it's certainly not ideal but I hope it's enough to keep him healthy and happy and most importantly alive long enough to buy me some time to get something more permanent together. If I would have known we were going to have a turtle I could have done the research prior and not had to scramble. But such is life I guess.

Here are some pictures.

This is the basic setup, I use the little plastic thing that came with him to feed him in.

Here is Blitz eying a piece of pellet.

I think my temps are right.

As I was writing this I actually caught him basking for the first time. I'm so excited :D

I don't know what the growth rates of turtles are but if this set up buys me a couple months to get my ducks in a row I would be happy.

I still haven't figured out a way to reliably heat his feeding bowl, I'm a little worried about pulling him from his nice warn home and plopping him down in much colder water. What I have been doing is filling a plastic cup with very hot tap water and setting that down in his feeding water to warm it up a little.

I'm still gathering ideas about what the habitat is eventually going to be but thanks to you all I know it will be appropriate for the turtle.
nicksta43

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:30 pm   Re: The Blitz situation

Hi Nick! What are the water temperature ranges? Your tank setup looks good, it's much better than what I started with. If you want the most bang for your buck, you're better off buying online... pet stores tend to overcharge.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:54 pm   Re: The Blitz situation

It only fluctuates a couple of degrees, since it's been up and running I've seen a low of about 76 and a high of about 78. The water in the feeder container is probably 68-70, I need to figure out what to do about that.

Now that Blitz should be relatively healthy and happy I can take the time to bargain shop. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to shop online and wait on shipping. He was very lethargic in his unheated container, not eating and I was afraid he wouldn't last a week. Now he is eating well, and is very active. I was so stoked to see him basking earlier, I was getting concerned that he was going to develop health issues.

I realize I have no idea if it's a he or she, we've just been calling it a him since they brought him home so that's how I describe him.
nicksta43

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:10 pm   Re: The Blitz situation

I'd think a heater and a good pellet should be bought in store when time is a factor, most other things can wait. Anyway, thats not important now... it looks like you're doing a good job helping him adjust.

You don't need to use a feeding bowl, but I would use some water from his tank if you have to and add some fresh water into while he's out. The temperature drop shouldn't be significant.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 am   Re: The Blitz situation

Looks like the little guy is off to a good start.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.