Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:48 am   Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

So umm, I have two red eared sliders, by the names of Axel and Faith. Axel is the newest being that I just got him a couple of days ago. I've had Faith since January(picked her up from someone that didn't want her.) I believe the only reason I got her though is because my first ever res Greece passed away. I wasn't sure if I wanted another turtle after him. I said no one could ever replace my heart. But here I am months later with two of them. I don't think I'm financially stable for them though which saddens me greatly. But I'm still keeping them and trying my best to care for them with my college student budget. Please be nice to me, and I could use all the suggestions/advice that you all are willing to offer me.
Sakidra

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:48 pm   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Welcome to the forum! We have tons of ideas to help you figure how to best care for your turtles. I would like to point out that there are some things that should not be skimped on, but there is a lot of room for creativity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:35 am   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Yes, I realize that some things are more important than others and can't be looked over. I originally kept Faith in a 6 by 12 Rubbermaid bowl I believe it is, but now that I have Axel as well I am looking into getting them a tank. I wasn't so pressed at first because they're small, but now that there are two of them I realize that they will grow will ultimately need more space.
Sakidra

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:38 am   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Do you know their genders yet?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:15 pm   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

The person I got Faith from said she was a girl, which is why I named her that. I'm just assuming Axel is a male, but he isn't more than two inches so I can't tell.
Sakidra

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:39 am   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

It's really hard to be certain if they are under 4" long, and unless the person you got her from is a professional breeder, I wouldn't guarantee it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Welcome to the forums. I am also fairly new to the forums as well. Yes you are right that you will need much more space. It has been reported that for every inch of a turtle equals to ten gallons. But if you see on the same note for example, commercial breeders all over also use waterland turtle tubs which are costly. There is no way that these tubs even the largest ones meet the ten gallon per inch general outlook when your talking even a small breeding group of turtles that are full sized adults. So I am not sure myself if the ten gallon per inch rule really stands because these small groups of adult turtles seem happy and breed well in the waterland tubs. The general rule of thumb on sexing the turtles as steve stated is on turtles 4 inches. I have determined sexes at the three inch measurement and to me that is really the bare minimum sized that any experienced person could accurately sex the turtles in general. Below this, it is strictly a guessing game that can not be accurate. Temp sexed turtles is not even a guarantee even though it has proved to result in a higher ratio outcome between males and females. As I told Steve on the forums, some dishonest sellers out there will say a turtle is male or female if they know the sex you are looking for just to make a sale and nothing more..
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 am   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Update!
Soo unfortunately Axel is not with us anymore, but now Faith has a new friend whom my boyfriend has decided to name Flash. I have a 10 gallon tank for them now, whooo! I bought a basking lamp which I've been using for a couple of days now. My heating and basking lamp just came in the mail, I'm very excited for that. Now I'm just waiting on the heater and filter. I've been using some rocks that I found in my backyard and boiled as a basking area. I also have some gravel from Petland that I've been using as a base. Is there anything else I should be doing?
Sakidra

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:35 am   Re: Hi, from Brooklyn, NY

Mainly, you need to start thinking about future upgrades and such. 10 gallons won't last more than a couple of months for 2 hatchlings.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.