Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:30 am   Hello

Sounds obvious but I am interested in learning about turtles. I live on the west coast of Vancouver Island and I am thinking about getting a couple of red eared sliders. They are considered an invasive species here, but I know they can survive. I have a 1300 liter stock tank in my back yard that I am in the process of setting up. Thanks in advance,

YDS
Yoda`s_Dirty_Secret

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:19 pm   Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum! Are they legal in your area? I know Canada has some inconsistent laws regarding reptile keeping. 1300 liters might be OK for 2 females that get along or either only a male or a female.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:21 pm   Re: Hello

Hi and Welcome Yoda to the Turtle Talk Forums, Being from Canada, I assume that Canada goes by Great Britain's overall measurements in liquids being that the Queen of England is head of State. With that stated, I added below my post the conversion link in which you can see that 1300 liters equals to 286 rounded off. Feel free to check it yourself below.

Now the general rule of thumb according to most people is 10 gallons of habitat for every inch of shell length. So say you have two red ear slider females that can get 12 inches long however they tend to grow 10 to 11 inches but lets go with say 12 inches maximum. 1 red ear female slider would equal to 120 gallons so two adult females would be 240 gallons using this rule of thumb.

Being that your area would be a hair under 286, you are fine and correct keeping in mind as Steve pointed out that the turtles get along. Steve has also mentioned that Canada has some inconsistent laws regarding reptile keeping. I found this out to with the permits needed to ship reptiles in and out of the Countries. Steve and others on these boards have recommended to check your local and government laws to stay legal and I also agree with them.

Here is the conversion link for liter to gallons (UK)

http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conver ... allons-(uk).php
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:34 am   Re: Hello

Thanks for the welcome and the link.

Cheers
Yoda`s_Dirty_Secret

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:02 pm   Re: Hello

Yoda`s_Dirty_Secret wrote:Thanks for the welcome and the link.

Cheers

Ta Mate, Cheers back !
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.