Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi, I am a new Red Eared Slider momma

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:43 pm   Hi, I am a new Red Eared Slider momma

Hello everyone

I am new RES momma, his name is Reggie. I got him 3 days ago and I'm already in love with him :) He is 6 1/2 inches head to tail and 5 1/4 inches side to side (already measured him so I can keep track of his growth). I have him in a 55 gal tank with a all in 1 basking bulb (for uva, uvb, radiation, light and heat). I put a slow dissolving calcium tab in the water to help with his shell. And I even got him a little pool so he can swim outside in the natural sunlight.

I've never had a turtle before so I would greatly appreciate any feedback as to how I'm doing and or any suggestions on how to take care of him, any tips or tricks. I've read that RES life expectancy can be up to 30 years and want him to have the fullest happy life possible.

Thanks,
Marissa
Marissa81

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:04 am   Re: Hi, I am a new Red Eared Slider momma

Welcome Marissa & Reggie! Sounds like you're doing great, much better than when most of us start out. Some pictures could help us with some suggestions, but you can probably skip the calcium tab. What's the filtration/water heating like?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:54 am   Re: Hi, I am a new Red Eared Slider momma

Thank you Steve .... For filtration I have a 30 gal submersible filter (I only have the tank half full) and for heat it's just the lamp right now (125 watt), I do have a submersible heater but the lady I talked to at a pet store said not to use it because it's glass and his shell could tap it and break it. His water is not too clear and I can't figure why so I'm going to talk to a lady at another pet place that specializes in reptiles ... so for the time being I think I'll let him take a swim in his lil pool while I drain the tank and start over. How quickly/often do their tanks need changing?
Marissa81

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:25 pm   Re: Hi, I am a new Red Eared Slider momma

What kind of bulb are you using? The only kind that is all-in-one is a Mercury Vapor Bulb and a 125W would be pretty strong. You're looking at adding more water, a better filter and probably a new dock.

As for water changes, it really depends on the amount of turtle+amount of water+filter. The more or better of each then you'll need much fewer changes.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.