Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Intros

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:01 pm   Intros

Ok, I am an absolutely brand new turtle mom. I have 2 rescues (could not turn away) and am on a crash course to ensure they become happy, healthy babies.
Facts first lol
I'm positive they are not 'hatchlings' and I'm almost positive I have one male and one female based on the difference in the front nails and the size.
One is 4.5" and the other is 5.5"
Both are Red Ear Sliders.
As far as I can tell there is no major health issues, but I honestly don't think they've ever had any veggies as the green leaf lettuce is looked at as foreign material to them. It's funny to watch, but I'm hoping they catch on that it's good for them lol.
I also don't think they've ever had any live food. I have a bearded baby and have crickets, BSFL, and Dubias in my house and they again look at these things as alien and won't touch them.
Guess they'll learn eventually that I tend to make sure my babies are fed well.
Currently though, the only thing they've touched is the Flukers Buffet Blend for Aquatic Turtles.
Their current housing will be upgraded ASAP because I know it's no where near big enough, but I do have the MVB so they have heat and UVB available.
I only got them yesterday and I've never dealt with aquatics before so if I ask a ton of dumb questions, please be patient lol.
I'm kind of OCD about research and confirming things.
Anyway, about this family, I'm a mom to 6 adult children, grandmother to 7 and mom to 8 4-legged children; 3 dogs, 2 cats, bearded, and now the 2 turtles.
RescueMom2

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:43 am   Re: Intros

Welcome to the forum! You seem pretty busy :)

Just a heads up, male RES usually don't get along with others in their tank as they mature, so you might want to keep that in mind when upgrading their tank.

RES are little pigs, they'll eventually take the veggies.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.