Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 am   Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

Hi Everyone,

I am Serdan.

Me and my girlfriend got our first two pet turtle. But we noticed that there are white spot on their shell. After reading throughout internet, it seems they have fungal on shell.

This is Hungry

This is Grumpy

I would to ask how to cure white spots on shell.

Also Hungry seems like to eat pellets but Grumpy is not eating pellets. Do I need to get alternative food?
serdan

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:16 am   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

Yeah, that's fungus. Any chance you can get silver sulfadiazine cream?
search.php?keywords=silver+sulfadiazine+cream

I would try to feed Grumpy separately, maybe take Hungry out while you try. A large box might be useful in holding him. You might also want to try live foods if he's still reluctant.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:25 am   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

steve wrote:Yeah, that's fungus. Any chance you can get silver sulfadiazine cream?
search.php?keywords=silver+sulfadiazine+cream

I would try to feed Grumpy separately, maybe take Hungry out while you try. A large box might be useful in holding him. You might also want to try live foods if he's still reluctant.

Hi Steve,

Thank you. Is it available on local pet store or local drug store? I will check it later after office if they have available cream and live food.

Edit:
it seems it required a prescription. Is it safe to use any fungal cream? or ssd is the best one?
serdan

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 am   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

SSD is the best one... you might be able to find it online, or if you have any friends in the veterinary or medical profession. Other OTC fungal creams have been tried with mixed results. I would try SSD first.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:29 am   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

Hi Steve.

i was able to buy on local drug store here without prescription.

it was an antibacterial cream?

do i need to dry up the turtles and put the cream overnight on affected part then rinse it before putting it back to tank?

thanks!
serdan

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 am   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

It's mainly used to prevent and fight infections and to treat burns.

Yes, let them get dry first. Put on a very very thin amount and wipe off excess in the morning.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:05 pm   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

hi steve.

thank you! before i go to work i checked them while they are asleep and surprisingly, white spots are now lessen. hopefully it will continue to heal. thanks alot for the help!
serdan

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:34 am   Re: Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie turtle pet owner

Great! Remember to use a small amount and to not over do it. :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.