Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New to the Turtle World

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 am   New to the Turtle World

Hello all. I never realized how badly I suck at math! It took me several attempts to answer the "not a robot question" LOL I got a new turtle, her name is Maya. Rescued off the street before getting run over by cars in May so we named her Maya. We will be probably be looking for a boy for her by next May and we will name him Mayo. LOL. Meanwhile, until the next year I will be constructing a large Turtle Penthouse starting with a used 120 gallon tank that we just bought from a previous fish owner. Also doing a lot of research on red eared sliders. I heard they are very resilient animals. Yet still I have so much more to research and learn about them. Like for instance how big these things can get? My turtle is only 10.5 inches now but its still growing. I got a 120 gallon tank but what happens when or if it passes 12 inches in size? Oh boy...so many questions. I was told 10 gallons of water for every inch of turtle. But maybe here on these forums others are in the same boat as I am? I saw a gorgeous beautiful Turtle Penthouse with RGB led lighting and it looked so much prettier and better than just a regular fish tank. It really caught my attention! I've already started building and buying things to get started on this build. I bought a brand new Fluval FX6 filtration system. I am hoping that will be enough for a 120 gallon tank and a very dirty turtle lol. I was told that is like overkill but I kinda like it that way. But I really do love how the turtle penthouses look. And I do have a huge 120 gallon tank to start it off with. I can't wait to finish it and I bet my turtle can't wait either. The tank looks so dull and empty with just the turtle inside and a secondary small filtration system I have on it while I prepare to install the Fluval FX6. I plan to do a lot more. I ordered the lamps as well. One UV and one heat lamp from Amazon.com. I am hoping my turtle will use them both. It seems to not want to come out of the water and always hide. LOL. She loved Talapia fish. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I bought over $50 on turtle food, calcium bits, earthworms, night crawlers, turtle pellets, turtle treats, turtle snacks, etc.....FREAKING EVERYTHING!!!!! And the only thing it wants to eat is Talapia fish that I cut up from raw fillets from walmart. Maybe I have an upscale picky turtle? I dunno. LOL. Nice to be here and nice to know that this forum actually even exists. I just heard about this and registered. :)

OVERGLOCKED10MM
overglocked10mm

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:18 pm   Re: New to the Turtle World

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you and Maya are off to a great start. It's rare for females to get to 12" but it does happen. At her size/age, you probably shouldn't notice much growth, unless you actually measure her. It's a good thing that turtles are allowed to grow slowly.

I'm looking forward to what you come up with... a build thread will be nice :)

As for food... she might just be holding out for the good stuff. A last note, if you found her crossing, she might have been looking to nest. So might have had eggs and should be returned if she's wild and was just heading home.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:08 pm   Re: New to the Turtle World

Hello and welcome ! Sounds like you doing you homework , great ! Turtles need 3-4x's the flow more than fish because of how messy they are. That FX6 is not overkill , its just right. Make sure you set media up for a turtle ,not for fish.

See here : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

The food , always a good variety and one that size should be on 70% veggies !

If you keep her please no boyfriend only asking for trouble and babies. We have enough RES's that need homes now. Turtles are very happy on there own and she will get all your attention !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 am   Re: New to the Turtle World

Probably should of just brought her to a near by pond, nothing worse then taking a free terrapin and forcing it into captivity. On the bright side i like your enthusiasm and sounds like you will care for her very well.
DonniesDad27

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 am   Re: New to the Turtle World

You say photographer , we want some photo's on your progression in time !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 am   Re: New to the Turtle World

Oh! DonniesDad27 - sometimes saving a terrapin from the freeway isn't so bad. I got my gal when someone else saved her form a busy street. It is what it is.

@overglocked10mm - Dandelions, dandelions, dandelions. I swear by them. They are high in calcium and just plain ol' wonder-food :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.