Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:06 am   Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Hi, I am new here. I just liked this site because it seemed detailed and genuine. My red ear slider is a female with an 8" shell, and she is about 6 years old. I bought her from someone on craigslist. She has a 75 gallon aquarium with a heater, a basking light, ceramic heat emitter, and filter. I also built her an outdoor enclosure about 10 ft x 4 ft. She has a pet pool out there 11" tall, and about 5 feet in diameter, made for large dogs, so claw proof. I made her a ramp with stepping stones, and I got a pet fence to put around it made for puppies. It is sturdy, and she can't get out.
RedEarSliderOwner

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:16 pm   Re: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Hello and welcome ,

Don't underestimate a turtle , they climb great and also are great diggers. Make sure you offer her some shade outside ! Keep a close eye on when outside and yes watch out for predators even large birds.

The ramp , make sure she has on inside not only outside , make it easy for her to get in and out.

Any name for her ? Photo's ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am   Re: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Welcome to the forum! Pics and a name will be great :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm   Re: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Her name is Timothea. They thought it was a boy so had to change from Timothy. She's been out there by herself for hours at a time, and has never climbed out. The bars are vertical, so I don't think she can get a hold. As for digging, there is grass, and she hasn't even tried to dig anything yet.
RedEarSliderOwner

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:12 pm   Re: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of ramp I should buy? I would like a bridge like ramp with stairs on either side if possible. The pool is 11" high.
RedEarSliderOwner

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 pm   Re: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Haven't seen any for an 8" turtle and most small one's very short would have to be placed on blocks to clear 11" pool. Have seen some great one's for in ground pond but $150 and up.
Something I did decades ago was to bend two small 1/8 rods about 3' long , 4' would bend easier. I got free 5 gallon paint sticks from a Home Depot and tied to rods making a ladder type bridge . If smooth rods use a double half hitch on rod tightly then tie ends around paint sticks to hold. Cost under $ 10 and worked , painted and looked even better. Lasted for years. The part in the water floated a little but a rock in place held it down. Make the bend closest to the pool steeper as water will make it easy for turtle to get on. The land side make sloop long , easier to get on from land.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:35 am   Re: Hi, just aquired a red ear slider.

Thanks that's a great idea.
RedEarSliderOwner

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.