Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New!!! A couple of questions!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:51 pm   New!!! A couple of questions!

I am the owner of a 1 1/2 inch yellow belly slider and a 3 inch RES. I do realize they are young, but my RES seems to be developing some pyramiding in his shell, but I know for a fact he hasn’t been overfed. He seemed to have some pyramiding when I purchased him, but it almost looks like it’s gotten worse. Is it too early to worry about this or is there something I need to be doing to prevent it from getting worse?
Heather313233

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 pm   Re: New!!! A couple of questions!

Hello and welcome,

Yes can be corrected but will take time and a few sheds ( be patience may take a year or two , no quick fix here ) to correct along with a proper, well balanced , varied and nutritious diet. Read nutrition section on "top header" on this page. Especially the feeding pellets and fresh plants links.

Turtle's in nature never know where there next meal will come from so always hunting. It's an built in instinct that is still in them as a captive pet , so they beg ! Our job is to give the best habitat and diet so they have a happy and healthy life. Think they beg now , they only get better at it with age. We must not give in to it or will have shell and health problems. Hard to do but a must. Read those links above page.

Pyramiding comes from over feeding the protein. Yes a baby needs more protein because they grow at a faster rate. Diet must be changed as they grow , growth rate slows into the juvenile stage then to adult. Will not need to be feed as a baby. Your 3" is almost a juvenile not a baby should be on 50-70% veggie diet with protein every other day ! If not pyramiding will just get worst and problem's internally too. Turtles growing at a good rate with a good diet will have a smooth shell ! Just need a little reading and adjust there diet and over time shell may correct itself. If your turtles still beg after proper amount of food is given play with them to get there minds off food. Once the daily amount of food is feed that's it "No More" to have a happy and healthy turtle that could live 40-50 years !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:29 am   Re: New!!! A couple of questions!

Are they in the same tank and fed at the same time?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm   Re: New!!! A couple of questions!

They were in the same tank at feeding time, but I would always pull the larger out if he was being too aggressive. I finally found out hat they are both males and very quickly get 2 tanks so they did not start fighting. They are both doing really well now and are getting the perfect amount of food. I would like to upgrade their tanks because they are growing so quickly but I just don’t have the money. Any solutions?
Heather313233

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm   Re: New!!! A couple of questions!

Probably the most cost effective tank would be a stock tank, or a kiddie pool. A large kiddie pool could work for a while while you save up for a deeper, tougher stock tank. Of course, you'd want to rig up a filter, basking location, and security measures (so they don't escape!). You'd also need the room for it, and if outdoors, additional measures needed..
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 pm   Re: New!!! A couple of questions!

Stock tanks are great! Heather, where are you keeping the tanks? Will the larger tanks be there as well? How much room do you have in that space?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.