Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New to having a big tank

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm   New to having a big tank

Hi! I'm Colleen and I have a turtle named Link. I got her a little over 3 years ago from a street vendor when she was the size of a quarter. She's moved states with me and I adore her. I've always really loved reptiles, it takes a lot of self control to not just pick up all the red eared sliders they have at the animal shelter and bring them home! I also have cats and dogs and work on horse farms so I get a nice variety of animals in my life. I just set up a 65 gallon tank for her and I think it's coming along really well. She seems really happy and more active, I'd love any advice people have for me.
I am curious about lighting setups - with a tank this big I definitely need an upgrade. I've always had a clip on lamp but that won't cut it anymore. Do more people have a lamp hanging over the tank or the long hood lights? And do you prefer mercury vapor bulbs or UVB + heat bulbs? I'm trying my first mercury vapor bulb but she's only been in the new tank 30 hours and hasn't gotten onto the basking platform yet.
Thanks!
Attachments
tumblr_ozu372lKke1qg8kh6o3_1280.jpg
cmcaleer

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 am   Re: New to having a big tank

Hello and welcome

Some turtles don't take to change well. Give Link more time to adjust to the new home.

UVB lamps are specialty lamps. Special glass and coatings. They produce light but the beneficial UVB rays are mainly directly under them so placement is important. Having a UVB meter helps for proper distance but use the chart or instructions on the box from the manufacture you got it from. I use a 100 watt Mega Ray for a 150 gallon stock tank and Piggley and I love it. Being a 3'x5' tank I also use accent lighting were needed. Here's a chart on different placements https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Z ... ection.jpg
But please go by instructions given with the one you have !
As with any bulbs used take the temps ! Some MVB's do not put out as much heat as one would think so being all setup's are different you may need to supplement for the heat side to get temps you need.
Fixtures , ever since I had one break over a tank I make my own ! Cost under $12 and very strong. One thing for sure use a good "GFI" for safety we are talking about water and electricity.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:16 am   Re: New to having a big tank

Thank you! She's definitely adjusting better than she has in the past, she was begging for food within an hour of being in the new setup whereas in the past she wouldn't eat for a few days after change. I will probably need an additional heat bulb with the MVB so I'm probably going to go with a dual hanging lamp instead of my assortment of clip on lamps. Now that shes's getting big, I have so many empty tanks and unused supplies and know a lot more than when I got her it really feels like time to fill them with some little creatures.
cmcaleer

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 am   Re: New to having a big tank

You can always setup a quarantine tank if ever needed , a plant tank with feeder fish and I would keep another for a dry dock , hope you never need that one !
Join a neighbor in a yard sale or just donate them?
That's why for decades I always setup an adult size tank even for a baby , all those upgrades ! Now a days being old and after Katrina it's just one 150 gallon stock tank for Piggley !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:23 am   Re: New to having a big tank

Welcome to the forum! What are doing for a cover or lid? You only really need the UVB/heat over the basking area, it would be wasted over water. You can add LED lights for some ambient lighting, though any MVB or halogen will provide a lot of light.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:40 pm   Re: New to having a big tank

Thanks! I don't have any cover, the water is low enough to not need one to keep her from escaping. Is it a good idea to have one?
I've heard different things mainly about the light. The single MVB is definitely enough light for the tank as long as it's a good fit once she's fully adjusted and starts basking again.
I'm probably going to set up a fish tank in one of my smaller tanks.
Attachments
tumblr_ozu372lKke1qg8kh6o5_1280.jpg
cmcaleer

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 am   Re: New to having a big tank

Is that Dino with Link ?

You even with a MVB need it over the basking area , most of you UVB rays are going into the water as Steve said. Most good manufactures give how wide of an area the UVB rays are at it's proper distance , its not where all the light goes but a small area directly under the bulb.

May not be able to have correct distance with the clamp light , needing something different than a clamp type fixture ? If you keep it find a way to secure for safety ! Don't depend on if its a tight pinch things happen and please have it plugged into a "GFI" . That's why I make my own stands.

Good manufactures have placement instructions in or on box .

Turtles are great escape artist , watch Link or Dino doesn't use that heater/cord to climb on to escape? I had on that used hanging plastic plant's to escape !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:14 am   Re: New to having a big tank

I've since moved the platform into the corner. That's why I'm trying to figure out the best option for a replacement, this is definitely not perfect!
That's her new stegosaurus buddy, I saw it in an aquarium store and had to get it.
Attachments
tumblr_ozu3a6D7s81qg8kh6o1_1280.jpg
cmcaleer

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am   Re: New to having a big tank

Cute picture! What kind of replacement are you thinking of? Cork bark looks great in a tank and is natural and environmentally friendly. Tile/PVC is super cheap, will last forever and highly customizable (size/color). Simple things to make a tank really pop... a background image, a few river rock, sand substrate. I would remove the bits of gravel as it poses an eating risk.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.